Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Necessities for the first elk hunt. >

Necessities for the first elk hunt.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Necessities for the first elk hunt.

Old 04-24-2003, 09:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Necessities for the first elk hunt.

Yes it is very irregular. No one really hunts bears in the area that I elk hunt so that might be why there are above average numbers of bears there. That and the fact they haven' t been hunted in the spring in a good many years.
it just seems like you are taking away from the experience a little if you are that concerned about a one in a million chance of actually being attacked.
I don' t loose any sleep over them I just like to be prepared if that certain bear happens my way. There just happens to be alot of bears in my area. And you are certainly right this is not the norm.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Elkampmaster is somewhat right, that there may be a zero chance of a bear encounter happening down theire in sw Colorado and as he said in my neck of the woods here along Glacier, the situation is totally different. If you are going to be hunting in Griz country you better be BEARAWARE and be prepared for an encounter. I bowhunt the back of side of Glacier National park as it transends into British Columbia, often byself in damn well knowing that I may have to leave something behind or bed up and spend the night, and I am prepared to do either. If I have to leave it, then yes, urinate around it, it has nothing to do with being paranoid. This also will keep the coyotoes away. When you see large piles of Griz crap as your slipping through the bush nice and quiet, it doesn' t take a rocket scientist to figure out that an encounter is possible, not to mention a Blackie with some cubs. I' m not too concerned about a cougar attack, even though the thought is in the back of my head. The cat is so sneakey and quiet, you' ll never know it comeing. The bottom line is if you go in bear country then go prepared. If your going hunting in a place and there are NO bears, then I wouldn' t carrry a pistol either, Its difficult to be quiet in the bush with all this gear. Sorry if I gave the impression that sw Colorado was like this. I really do not know. But here an encounter is a common occurance, and I am not talking about seeing them I am talking about encountering them at face to face at the same time. Rookielkhunter, the odds are greater than those you stated, I had two of these encounters with Blackies last year, and one sow had two cubs. I could not even react fast enough. I do not want to encounter a Griz, I' m sure the outcome would of been different. Not trying to scare you guys, but just be safe when in bear country. Bobby
Old 04-25-2003, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

My last bear encouner was purdy soberin' . Big ol' griz came dashin' outta the brush one mornin' right after I' d answered nature' s call in the same place. I think I actually fed him his breakfast. The dogs got wind of him an' let out down the treeline from camp. Thet griz was mad. I nearly answered nature' s call agin right there in camp with my coffee cup in hand. My rifle was right there hangin' muzzle down from a tree by the fire. You won' t see me go off no more ' thout a shovel, a roll of toilet paper, a wet bandanner, an' my .348.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

121553 I was just pulling your leg a little with the paranoid stuff, it just struck me as funny thats all. Never heard of urinating around the meat but then again I don' t live in Griz country. We just got them little black ones around here.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:09 PM

THANK TO ALL WHO POSTED HERE IT IS BIG HELP!!!!!
Old 08-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here are the things I cannot leave home with out on a elk hunt 1 day or 30.
1.A good pack
2.Tags
3.ammo
4.Rifle
5.Good binocs
6.Knife
7.Compass
8.Map
9.Rope
10.Warm hat
11.Gloves
12.1 extra pair of socks

Dress in layers,dress in layers,this you want to remember.
For me to have 3 shirts on in the morning with a vest and coat.I always were wool pants with leg gaiters when hunting.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:35 AM

From what I' ve read, a pistol is good to unload in a bears face as he chews your arm off, and that a better bear deterrant is pepper spray (the kind designed for bears).
The one item I didn' t notice listed that I generally take is a toilet seat mounted on a folding 4 legged stool that will sit over a 5 gallon bucket. Then you can either cut out bottom of bucket to place over dug hole or place trash bag in bucket. Sure beats digging a little hole every morning and squatting (kind of makes me feel like a house cat).
Depending on type of tent you are using I like to take a tarp large enough to canopy over tent and also make covered area in front of tent that way you have dry place outside of tent. Also don' t forget to trench around tent.
Another tip that works good if you are taking cooler for cold food freeze about 1/3 full of water, and also get everything that can be, frozen before putting in. Works good. If taking quite a bit of beef for food (not hamburger) simply freeze and place in cooler by itself and fill up air space with waded up newspapers, then tape shut. Will last amazingly long time. Venison doesn' t work like this.
Also precooked meat will last alot longer (hamburger, venison).
Hope some of this helps.
David/Mo
Old 08-06-2003, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Any man thet needs a store bought toilet is dumb enough to pack a heavy belt pistol in rugged backcountry whilst he' s got a 300 mag slung over his shoulder. Pepper spray works, and besides that, anybody unloading a pistol into a bear ' thout usin' spray first or tryin' every other metod of avoidance would end up on the wrong side of the law. Very few bears or hikers die all summer long ' round here, that is until the hunting season opens an' armed numbskulls take to the bush.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beaver jack I agree on the whole toilet seat issue.

But I don' t think there is anything wrong with a pistiol,as I explained before why I carry one.I don' t think you would have to worry about it in Colorado.
I say to heck with Pepper spray most pepole get to excited and use it on them selves any way.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:06 AM

BJ and BBJ,

If one was packing in on horseback I' d agree with the toilet issue. If you are power camping just off of the road, then it' s a different story.

EKM

Quick Reply: Necessities for the first elk hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.