Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Kodiak Island Blacktail? Caribou? other game? >

Kodiak Island Blacktail? Caribou? other game?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Kodiak Island Blacktail? Caribou? other game?

Old 03-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Kodiak Island Blacktail? Caribou? other game?

Was surprised to learn there are caribou on Kodiak Island?

Really wanting to do a sitka blacktail hunt on the island in the not so distant future, outfitted non-guided, and wondering if I'd be able to take a caribou or if that would be quite a task to accomplish on a 5 day deer hunt?

Anyone have hunted Kodiak for deer? ever see a caribou? could you see harvesting one? a quality bull?

Also I hear there are fox etc..., no wolves. Also birds, ducks etc...

Old 03-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Kodiak Island Blacktail? Caribou? other game?

Indeed there are Caribou on Kodiak. Also Elk, Goats, Bears. There is no bag limit and no closed season for caribou but you must have a harvest ticket. You'll have to pull up some maps for deer because there are different restrictions (weapons and bag limits) for different parts of the island.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wonder if any caribou of any size on the island....and then how difficult it would be to get one.
Sounds like they just want to get rid of the bou on the island?

Old 03-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

I remember reading a article about Kodiak Island .They take you there buy boat , but the weather has to be near perfect and the same when they pick you up again .Reason for that is the water can be to dangerous for a boat to be on , so if the weather not right you could be stuck there for days .In that same article I read that when the grizzles hear a gun shot that like a dinner bell for them ,so you really have to keep an eye out for them.Like I said it was a article I read but it's been a long time since I read it .
Old 03-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I wonder if any caribou of any size on the island....and then how difficult it would be to get one.
Sounds like they just want to get rid of the bou on the island?

Good question. Probably worth a call to fish and game to find out. I askedsome buddies of mine from Wasilla andthey weren't sureeither.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read this with great interest...I've hunted 'bou 5 times in AK, but never heard of anyone hunting them on Kodiak...

Not surprised that they might be there...I know some of the Alueutians have herds of caribou...

Keep us posted on what you find out..Good luck...I've always wanted to do a Sitka blacktail hunt there myself, but I don't know if it ever will happen..So many critters to hunt, so little time and money... And I ain't gettin' any YOUNGER either......