HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Best unit in Colorado (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/286015-best-unit-colorado.html)

Huntnhounder 02-10-2009 06:01 PM

Best unit in Colorado

I'm sure everyone has there best or favorite unit to hunt elk in colorado, so lets here them. If you have a success story be sure to include it also.

salukipv1 02-10-2009 07:41 PM

RE: Best unit in Colorado

fav elk unit in CO? any of the states surrounding CO....haha.

I do build elk pts in CO though, eventually I'll hunt one of the better units...whatever those are down the road...

skb2706 02-11-2009 06:03 AM

My favorites are 80 and 81...basically because they are like home for me.

Your thread asked "best". Your post asked "favorite". They are not the same.

For quality and quantityof animals 84.

For the fact that it is home 80.

Ron Duval 02-11-2009 07:13 AM

old

removed by RD

Pygmy 02-11-2009 10:17 AM

Best one I've hunted in was 76..Unfortunately, by the time I bank enough preference points to go back there, I'll BE 76....[:@]....

Summitsitter 02-11-2009 03:26 PM

No comment:D

The hunting pressure in my honey hole (unit) is minimal. Just the way we like it.

txhunter58 02-11-2009 03:54 PM

Best unit in Colorado to hunt elk; the one I hunted last year!

Good luck in finding yours! Nice try though.

TEmbry 02-11-2009 08:22 PM

Are you talking OTC?
Draw after <10 years?
Or a once in a lifetime LOONG time waiting type tag?

All would have different answers.

Like Saluk, I am just building points to eventually draw a decent tag on down the road, by then they will most definitely change from the current hot spots based on draws, management, elk numbers, hunter pressure, etc...

cherokee_outfitters 02-12-2009 05:30 AM

Waiting 10 yrs to draw and elk tags would not even be in my list. But have worked alot of limited draw areas and I believe it has nothing to do with what unit you hunt but what are in that unit that you hunt. Some open units have unique areas that are hard to get into and those area's produce some big bulls just as their limited unit counter parts. I like the San Juan Wilderness it's rugged and has plenty of big bulls hidden in the remote parts. I do agree however that some units are controlled enough to see big bulls walking on the outskirts of towns but that's not exactly what i want in my memory bank, the picture of me stopping my truck getting out and shooting the bull of my life nahhh. Let someone else who wants to draw for 10-20 years have those. I'll take my chance everyyear out in the open units. I say 78,80,81 are the ones to look towards in the future. Hunters are getting lazy and the elk know it.

huntingson 02-12-2009 07:00 AM

I don't think that asking the unit is asking anyone to give away their favorite honey hole. There is a lot of public land in CO to go around.

I have only hunted 62. It is alright, but Iknow that there are much better for trophy bulls. The nice thing about it is the OTC tags and there are a fair # of elk. Plus, my father has been hutning it for over 25 years, so we know the area very well.