Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

GMU 471

Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 PM

Default RE: GMU 471

Thanks Txhunter!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Shame on me for missing that, tx
Old 02-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

55 is an OTC tag, has been for the 20+ years I been hunting CO. You do need to read the regs carefully. There are many parts to CO laws, point restrictions, legal equipment, tagging proceedures and they make changes every year. The new regs will be out soon[Late Feb.]. You can hunt any OTC unit with an OTC tag.
Altitude:I wouldn't watse too much time at 7000-8000 feet[not that you will find much of that elevation in 471], go up
I would make 9000 to 9500 base elevation and hunt up from there. Two reasons for that, 1 food sources and 2 heat. General rule is that elk can take more cold than heat. So to avoid warm temps they do two things, steep dark timbered slopes or high elevation. The lower slopes are always cooler if a creek is near by[HINT]! The timberline area is the most fun to hunt in my book. Watching elk be elk is amazing. The steep timberline slopes offer great food sources, cold water and good cover and thermals to keep the elk cool and less BUGS to bother them. You are going to get a very good education.
Gselkhunter
Old 02-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

On the Colorado DOW site (TXHUNTER posted the link) there are also GMU maps that show the migration patterns. I have used these once and found them to be fairly accurate (as far as you can be with live animals under hunting presure). Take some of the advice you've received here, look at the migration maps and a topo map and pick some likely spots to hunt.

Good luck!

Spud
Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Thanks guys, that is some great help.

Gselkhunter, when I said that I would acclimate at 7500 to 8000, I was thinking about staying in a nearby town for a night (aspen???) before I headed up into the mountains. I don't know for sure how my body will take going straight to 9500'. I was considering taking Altitude Advantage (Wilderness Athlete) or possibly trying to get a prescription of Diamox from a doctor. Who knows, maybe 9000-9500 ft. won't bother me that much and I would be able to stay at that elevation for a day before heading up to 10000+. Also, thanks for the tips on where to find elk. I kind of figured that we were going to have to hunt high, but I will try and remember to look for the dark timber along a creek bottom.

Also, I didn't realize that an OTC tag is good for any unit. I thought that they were unit specific. That is pretty cool and might have to start scouting out unit 43 or others that are nearby.

Spuddog, I have been looking at those migration maps. They are pretty cool.

Thanks again everyone, I trully appreciate it.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:57 AM
Typical Buck

OTC tags are only good in OTC units, not the draw units. I want to make sure you understood this.
How old are you? I had a friend come from NE 2 years ago and he is in his early 50s like me, right up to timberline. He did fine, I had to slow my pace for him a little and stop to let him catch his breath. He became acustom to the altitude in a couple of days. Don't be afraid of going high just pace yourself.
Gselkhunter
Old 02-05-2009, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted in a lot of area's in Co. including 2 wilderness area's. What you are doing is great IF you know what you are doing. Here is what I would do, find a place that you like to hunt. Stay at your truck and sleep there for a couple days. Walk in and scout (forget about hunting the first couple days) the area and try and find the elk. That way you can find a good place to camp as well. Remember you can only put about 35# on your back so several trips are necessary. In order to have any RESONABLE chance of success you will need at least 2 weeks in a NEW area unless you can get someone to put a x on a map.
I packed in (on my horses) for a good no. of years into the flattops wilderness. these were the best times of my life, getting a little too old for that now. If you consider the flattops (might be a draw area for archery unit 24)let me know I will put that X on the map. Good luck
RC
Old 02-05-2009, 05:56 AM

gs, I am 28 and am in pretty good shape. I workout all year long and have kicked it up a notch to get in shape for the mountains. I went backpacking in Rocky Mountain National Park last summer and didn't have too many problems with the altitude, although I stayed in Colorado Springs for 2 days prior. When I got up to about 10,000 ft., I had a slight headache, but nothing life threatening. Hopefully I wont' have any problems like your friend from NE.

Redclub, thanks for the info. I wish we had two weeks, but unfortunately, we will leave for CO on a Saturday and return the following Sunday. I know that a lot of luck will be involved, so I will just plan on hunting hard and learning as much as I can as we go along. I have a lot of work to do before September. I have been trying to get my hands on any book that I can find to increase my knowledge on elk hunting. I will have to check out the Flat Tops area and see if there are any OTC units. That x on teh map would surely be appreciated.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Headache can be nothing more than lack of water in your system. Staying hydrated at high altitude is of serious importance. The amount of fluids lost is huge. Take a purifing filter with you so you can refill your bottle from small creeks up high. Saved my butt sheep hunting at 13,000'.
BOOK YOU WANT A BOOK!
"Elk of North America Ecology and Management" You can get it at Amazon.com.
There is a gentleman that lurks here, AKA Elknut, go to his website. If you really want to learn you have a lot of work a head of you.
First trip out here shoot the first Legal elk you get a shot at even if it is a cow. Remember you are dealing with a point restriction in that area and 55 is the same. Keep asking question and I will keep answering.
Gselkhunter
Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 AM

GS, you're right about staying hydrated. I definitely think the headache was, in part, due to being dehydrated. I didn't drink as much water as I should have. I just didn't feel like it....but after the first day, I made myself drink lots of water and the problem went away. I know of Elknut and have his Chuckler bugle. I also have his Mastering the Mouthreed DVD. I believe he is about to release a new book titled, "Elnut's Playbook". I plan on picking this up once it becomes available.

I do plan on shooting the first legal elk that I can shoot. I am definitely not going to be picky.

Thanks again for your help. It's nice to have somebody who knows what they are talking about to ask questions to.