Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 The Skinny on the Big Cougar cougar >

The Skinny on the Big Cougar cougar

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The Skinny on the Big Cougar cougar

Old 04-14-2003, 09:49 AM
nub

Default RE: The Skinny on the Big Cougar cougar

[quote][I locked the last thread on this as it became very argumentitive. Am doing so again before it happens all over again.
/quote]
Could have sworn this was locked last time I checked. White Raven censored?[] I can' t imagine why.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

WR why don' t you contribute to this site and the forums? It seems every post you make is about a bogus world record or trophy animal. Always on the inside or in the know, hey " YOUR GREAT" is that what you want to hear!!!

Frankly I don' t give a hoot about the rumors and pics that float around. If I want to question them I can do so without starting a post or lobby against them.

I have a suggestion why don' t you give it up! Better yet Grow up, this playground stuff is get old and very boring[:' (].

My grandpa use to say, " if you can' t contribute then better off not to get involved" . I suggest maybe you think about what you bring to the forum and then decide if is of worth or not[].

Old 04-14-2003, 01:40 PM

Just in case you might be interested, a cougar made the B & C book recently that was taken in Idaho near the town of Riggins. The skull measured 15 5/16 inches (it takes 15.0 inches to make the book). The skin was measured at 9 feet 6 inches in length, and the estimated weight was 190 pounds. You can look it up in the most recent Boone and Crockett mag (Spring, 2003) on page54.

As to whether or not the cat mentioned was a record book specimen, if it isn' t listed in the Boone and Crockett book, there is no way to verify it. Rumors spread quickly, pictures can be doctored, but if you have that piece of paper confirming your animal' s listing in the book, that can' t be faked.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...20lion%201.jpg
Old 04-14-2003, 01:42 PM
Banned

Funny thing is I was right on with Rompola (fake that he is), word has it that i was right on the mark when it came to Zaft' s G2/G3 being considered a deduction, therefore not the world record, and now it looks like all the information regarding the harvest of this cougar is being refuted by the Washington Fish and Game Commision. Go figure. Don' t know about you but I' m a skeptic. Fact of the matter is most things I' m asked to look into are legitimate. I' m not here to be anyone' s cheerleader with a lot of back slapping.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:12 PM
nub

Fact of the matter is most things I' m asked to look into are legitimate.
Whos asking?
Old 04-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hooray...you the man!!! Big Deal. I am sure you are the main reason for the mentioned animals not to get in the book. To coin your phrase: " You need a reality check"

It is unofficial for a reason, I don' t view anything a record or even a book animal until it is official, until that is made public it is just a great trophy and i am happy for the guy. It is up to that books scorers, board what ever to determine if it indeed the harvest qualifies for that record book...not me or you. Again until that happens it is a rumor or unofficial. Fact is who really cares what status it has unofficially, I certainly don' t.

I am not an advocate for fakes or bs stories, but I certainly don' t lose sleep over them. Fish tales are part of the outdoors sporting world. I certainly don' t rely on people such as yourself to set things straight all the time, I think I can handle figuring out things myself.

You know what i am going to take my own advise and " JUST STAY OUT OF THIS" I have nothing to offer to make this thread positive or of use[:' (]. Sorry group

Old 04-14-2003, 03:48 PM
Banned

Skeeter et al., do you people have any idea how many people on staff for newspaspers, magazines and television are hired soley to research the validity of stories before they are either aired or published. Problem with the internet is it' s too easy to spread falsehoods as though they were gospel. Anyone with a scanner, photo-shop and a word processor can be quite imaginative and before you know it some BS story is making the rounds as though it were the truth. Most of these are just in fun but sometimes the motives are less than pristine. (ex Rompola' s cash grab).
Old 04-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

So WR, just what is it you do for a living? Are you on staff somewhere to conduct these investagations? It might help all of us here if we knew the motive behind the drive.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:38 PM
Banned

MDbohunter, let' s just say I have a vested interest in knowing the truth. You' d be surprised how many half baked stories show up on Gordon Whittington' s desk. Don' t you think they look into everything before an article is published, as every editor has a responsibility to his readership to do so. Occasionally one slips through the cracks. I am constantly amazed at the amount of B.S. that circulates out there. Fishing stories (aka the big one that got away) are nothing compared to the trumped up hunting stories that surface on a daily basis. Sometimes an extraordinary story (to the point of unbelievable) requires closer inspection. Phone calls, field agents etc all have a hand in getting to the truth. The research that went into this doesn' t back up the original story, if anything any and all facts have been refuted by Washington F&G. Now that this fact has surfaced the story is evolving (taken in a different state, taken by another hunter). Thats how all fictional stories go. The facts constantly change. Problem with this story, photo aside for now, is that someone went to great lengths to describe minute details surrounding it. And all those facts/details have been proven false. Some stories that seem unbelievable at first stand up to examination. One great example being a huge bear that was harvested as was mentioned earlier. . In this case it was the picture that was called into question as little facts were provided. The bear story gave no details, just that it was huge and taken by a hunter. It was the photo that was called into question but it was on the level. I' ve seen a lot of doctored photos in my life but I' m no analyst. I' m having the picture examined by a professional and will post the results (along with my source and how to get ahold of them) when the conclusions are final. But a cursory examination of the photo has already called the authenticity of the picture into doubt. I' ll keep you posted, rest assured. Much to some people' s dismay. I' d also like to add that Bowfanatic has posted some very believable pictures of cougars and they do indeed look big. But not unrealisticly so. The picture of the other cougar can not be compared to these.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:34 PM

I can see a possibility of making quite a bit of money here. I' ll take any bet at ten to one odds that the cougar in question is a real lion killed this year in Washington state. We can find an independant guy to hold the money and the winner takes all of it. This means the photo is real and everything it shows is 100% real.

10:1.........I take every bet there is for any amount you like we just pick an independant guy to hold the money.

What do you say? feel lucky? I sure do!

Quick Reply: The Skinny on the Big Cougar cougar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.