Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

decoying antelope

Old 01-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default decoying antelope

Planning a trip to Teddy Rsvelt National Park in ND to do a little antelope hunting and deer hunting on the archery opener this year I have never hunted either spicies but was thinking of trying to use a decoy to get within range of the antelope now I have done some reading and they say that using a small buck decoy works well in the rut however we will be there a few weeks before the rut and was wondering if making my own decoy of say a bison since they see those in the park would work better.

Any advice would be helpful also if any of you have made your own decoys advice on that or even some pics would bee helpful

Thanks
Mike
Old 01-03-2009, 08:18 PM

Default RE: decoying antelope

A few years ago I decided to make my own "decoy" of an angus cow. Made it out of that 1/2" foam sheets you find at Lowe's. Main reason, I was going to be hunting a ranch with lots of angus cattle.
I'd like to say it woked, but my shot went low.
But the really weird part was the reaction of the cattle! I didn't walk a 1/2 mile, stopping, spotting lopes, and moving in slowly. When I noticed a few angus coming towards me. Then a few more, and more, and more! Before I could get within' shooting distance of a nice buck, I had to have had at least 150 cows following me around!
So, yes, the decoy worked, but my cover wasn't the one I made, but the whole freakin' herd!
I would suggest you make it small enough and sturdy enough to easily carry and hold up in high wind. Put some kind of stakes on it so you can plant it in the ground for shooting and spotting. Put some kind of hole in it to shoot through and spot your quarry through.
But the main thing is to watch your back . . . if those Bison do to you what those cows did to me, you might be in some trouble.