Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Need some help on where to hunt elk >

Need some help on where to hunt elk

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need some help on where to hunt elk

Old 12-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need some help on where to hunt elk

Quality and High Demand cost more....for archery that meant 1st and 3rd seasons to the unit I applied to last year....ie, 1st season because they've yet to be hunted in high demand....and 3rd was in the rut and thereofre also high demand.

For that reason you may hunt 2nd season and save a few hundred bucks....and still have a quality hunt.

Dont worry too much about Regular, Q, HD....but knowing that your odds may be higher for say that 2nd seasons when its not a HD or Q...

Also for rifle...I'm not sure how the seasons work exactly....but read up on it,

Old 12-18-2008, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado does have a lot of public land, but you have to do your research because certain units have a lot of private. Your over the counter choices there would be archery, and the second and third rifle season. I would rate the seasons taking in to consideration chance of success and quality of hunting in this order: 1st rifle, archery, 2nd rifle, and 3rd rifle.

Yes, I think drawing a tag for the first rifle is far superior to the 2nd or 3rd seasons. Elk are usually in the tail end of the rut , there are about 1/2 the number of elk hunters in the field, and there are NO deer hunters in the field. For the later seasons, the elk have been chased around for over a month and they are more weather dependent. If you get lots of snow, they can be great, but those years are few and far between.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:07 AM

Give Utah a look. Great bulls right now.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:53 AM

I wouldnt hunt Idaho, Regardless what the other guy said, the wolves are bad, and we honestly need to stop hunting them for the next 2 years so they can re-populate. I would hunt Montana because they regulate there elk better and there are more than Idaho. plus they manage there forrest a lil better so there not as hairy