Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

This years Idaho Trip

Old 11-27-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default This years Idaho Trip

As always I had a great time.10 days of uninterrupted hunting.I could easily live there with the beauty of the mountains and the decency of the people.
This year the quality of the hunting was not great.The deep snows of last winter definitely had it's effect on the deer population.We saw far fewer deer and only a couple older age class bucks.The rigors of the rut coupled with the deep snows seemed to have really effected the older buck population.So no taxidermy expense this year.In ten days of hunting I saw 9 bucks,all of them being 11/2 or 21/2 year old deer.I saw two elk and kicked out elk in two other instances.I saw three coyotes and heard wolves howling four times.We didn't hunt in area's that we have traditionally seen wolves but I heard them howling in area's that I have never seen them before,also seeing their tracks in area's where I have not seen their tracks before.
We hunted for several days on close to a full moon and the temperatures were warmer then we would have liked.There was plenty of scraping activity up until the day we ended our hunt 11/23.We saw next to no chasing activity.With scrapes being opened and tended as late as they were and observing no chasing activity or very little I have to believe that the rut timing is late.
I am hoping for a mild winter and that the wolf population falls upon a debilitating disease.(Sorry it's time for their numbers to be controlled)
Overall a fantastic time as always but left with empty tags.
This year was the tenth consecutive year of hunting in Idaho.Did I say that I could live there!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:32 AM

Default RE: This years Idaho Trip

ORIGINAL: tsoc

As always I had a great time.10 days of uninterrupted hunting.I could easily live there with the beauty of the mountains and the decency of the people.
This year the quality of the hunting was not great.The deep snows of last winter definitely had it's effect on the deer population.We saw far fewer deer and only a couple older age class bucks.The rigors of the rut coupled with the deep snows seemed to have really effected the older buck population.So no taxidermy expense this year.In ten days of hunting I saw 9 bucks,all of them being 11/2 or 21/2 year old deer.I saw two elk and kicked out elk in two other instances.I saw three coyotes and heard wolves howling four times.We didn't hunt in area's that we have traditionally seen wolves but I heard them howling in area's that I have never seen them before,also seeing their tracks in area's where I have not seen their tracks before.
We hunted for several days on close to a full moon and the temperatures were warmer then we would have liked.There was plenty of scraping activity up until the day we ended our hunt 11/23.We saw next to no chasing activity.With scrapes being opened and tended as late as they were and observing no chasing activity or very little I have to believe that the rut timing is late.
I am hoping for a mild winter and that the wolf population falls upon a debilitating disease.(Sorry it's time for their numbers to be controlled)
Overall a fantastic time as always but left with empty tags.
This year was the tenth consecutive year of hunting in Idaho.Did I say that I could live there!
Nice post tsoc, very classy and a good read, thanks.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

what part of Idaho???? I have always kinda liked the area around Grangville and Kooskia!!!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Banned

Glad you enjoyed your trip here to the Gem state. IMO the days of good hunting is very limited, and will soon be a thing of the past. Not because of the snow, or a bad winter, but because those killers that you heard howling. Believe me, there is at least twice as many as Fish and Game admits to. A few years ago six grown bear dogs weren't killed in a years time. Now we have lost that many in one day!! What is happening to the deer and elk herds? Ranchers tell of finding 400-500 pound calves standing in the road with their guts dragging between their hind feet, and we are told that they only kill for food?? Great Pyrenees sheep dogs, the 150# varity, are killed on a regular basis by howlers. Unless the critter is killed, or photographed in the deed, Fish and Game will blame it on something else. A grizzlie was killed in an area that reportedly contained no grizzlies. Fish and Game still denies any grizzlies in the area in spite of a carcase to prove otherwise.
Wolves are showing up from the Blues in Oregon to the area east of Salt Lake City. When they are being caught by trappers, it is hard to deny that they are there.
When visiting Idaho, please practice the 3 "s" law, shoot, shovel, and shut up.
When I asked a state representive if he had any pull with Fish and Game, he replied, " the anti's are the only one with any pull there"
Old 11-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Units 8A and 10A not far from the towns you have mentioned.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear you Snooky! It is very discouraging when game management is political and not biological.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Spike

Yep, that's the truth. We've supposedly got no Griz in the local mountains, having to go up near the Canadian Border or down south near Yellowstone. Only problem is I've talked to three different guys who've seen them in the CDA river drainage, as far back as 20 years ago. A buddy came around the bend of a stream and one was talking down a cow elk in front of him. An article inthe paper said was also killed cy an auto a few months ago along the Clark Fork in Montana right across the border, so forget the Fish and Game telling it like it really is.

The wolves are around, I've heard them myself and seen track plenty in the backcountry. One was shot this spring near Mullan.

Still, Idaho is a nice place to hunt and fish, get it while you can.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Definetly tough hunting this year. If you were in 10a we most likely crossed paths. We had one of our worst years as far as number of decent bucks seen and taken. I believe it was due to a combination of facts. During what is usually our best part of the rut to hunt we had clear sky's and a full moon for the deer to party under, so their daytime activity was at a minimum. If you hunt our area you know how next to impossible it is to hunt our bucks when they are in their thick beding areas, they have many escape routes, and all you get for your efforts are the sound of them blowing and running into the next county. We also had the tough winter last year, but most of our deer I believe were able to drop into the river valleys and avoid the snow. The wolves are another story alltogether and they are out of control. As usual we had them howling near camp everynight, and found lots of their sign in the areas game animals use to feed and breed. When I shot my buck I had them howling all around me as I gutted it out, and could only hope they would make the mistake of trying to come in and steal my deer. But Idaho is still great, and there are not many places in the lower 48 like it, I know I am blessed everyday to live here. I actually enjoy the sound of the occassional howling wolf, it lets me know I am in a truely wild place, but like any other game animal they need to be controlled, and right now they are totally out of control.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scot,

A lot of what you've reported here is exactly what I am hearing and witnessing this season here in Northern Idaho. I've heard many hunters talk about the low #s of big bucks moving during daylight hours and or... just a lack of mature bucks period. I think what you guys have discussed above is right on....that its a combination of several variables. The weather in second half of NOV, a tough winter last year nocking down the #s over all etc. I've have hunted my arse off so far this year, compiling as much time as I have ever put into the woods here in Northern Idaho. I passed on 5 different 3.5 year old bucks that would have been chip shots for the rifle and 3 others that while bowhunting so far that were chip shots. Anc I can not count how many young bucks I have seen time and time again..so thats a positive...

So far this season for me personally..I have found and killed 1 good mature 4.5 or 5.5 year old buck. He was with a doe on Nov 23...I have a history with this buck so I know his age approximately. After I killed him his teeth definately indicate it.

As for the season right now, Mature bucks are just "STARTING" to come out of their nocturnal patterns and show up a little before dark in doe family group hangouts. I watched 4 bucks last night while out scouting for late archery season, one of which was a stud 5x5. They were all on a doe...I also jumped a big buck I have history with/trail cams etc...Sat ... I was glad to finally see him alive and well. Not glad that I jumped him but its good to know hes right where he always seems to like hanging out up on big ridgeline..

Our does are still coming into estrus, this years rutdue to whatever outside factors is very LATE.. Ibelieve the rutting will continue well into next week.. just in time for late archery.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

my rifle buck

Quick Reply: This years Idaho Trip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.