Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS >

DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

That sucks man!! I have been with some bad outfitters before and I know the feeling, actual most outfitters i seem to go with suck!!!

Its just too bad that he acts that way and runs his organization that way.

thanks for the heads up, its unfortanute that people like this stay in business and believe it or not the big hunting shows make it worse.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am always willing to take someone elk hunting. I took two Michigan guys back to Idaho with me this September.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hearing about your experience brings back such bad memories I can't even tell you!My first two hunting trips were with outfitters.Both whitetail hunts both in Idaho.First one the guides were hunting at the same time the hunters were(which was never disclosed).A person who I considered a friend who guided for them from my home town was aware of the way things worked with the guides and never shared that with me.The outfitter knowingly took people on property that was in the guding area of other outfitters,I found this out after having spoken to a neighboring outfitter who was active in the Idaho Outfitters and guides association.The owner of the outfit picked me up one afternoon at the location that I was hunting and on the way back to camp proceeded to go on a high speed chase on a dirst road trying to catch a kid on a four wheeler that was hunting on his (Public Land).I was being thrown around the cab of the truck as we were sliding around turns,as was my rifle.
The camp was disgusting,the one bathroom hadn't seen a cleaning for a number of years.
My second experience,I dealt with a booking agent thinking that that would insulate me from similar experiences.In fairness the one on one hunt with the second outfitter was pleasurable and the guide worked extremely hard but I had asked him about winter kill in his unit multiple times and he had told me his unit was uneffected,he wasn't straight with me.We were walking 8 to 10 miles a day,we hunted for 6 days and I saw 3 deer total.I spoke to a biologist after the fact and he confirmed that that unit got hammered by winter kill.
The last 8 years I have done DIY,I have killed some fine animals,I hunt twice as long for the same expense and it's all up to me,which is perfectly fine!
I Have respect for the outfitters who do it right as they have a lot of things to contend with that are outside of their control.Hunters fitness levels and skills or shooting ability as well as braggarts and people who are obstinate.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow - bad experience is right!!

If you could go back to the point of having that big bull at 45 yards, wouldn't you like to just act like you didn't hear the guide, nock and arrow and watch as you send an arrow right though the boiler room....
Old 11-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

I am always willing to take someone elk hunting. I took two Michigan guys back to Idaho with me this September.
Same here I am allways ready to extend my hand to someone and show them my stomping grounds!! I started doing this years ago with 3 young college students, today 2 of them are deputy sheriffs and 1 is a supervisor in the border patrol, they come back to camp almost every year now!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bad bad deal, sorry to hear about that.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Goto Bowsite.com and leave a Outfitter reveiw. They have got a nice data base on outfitters.

Sorry about your bad experience.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

Wow - bad experience is right!!

If you could go back to the point of having that big bull at 45 yards, wouldn't you like to just act like you didn't hear the guide, nock and arrow and watch as you send an arrow right though the boiler room....
My bow was drawn and I was settling my pin when he told me not to shoot. [:@] Yes, if I could relive it I would just shoot.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:18 AM

That's too bad.
I read about these bum outfitter experiences every year.

T

Old 11-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

This kindof stuff is more common than we know. Odd thing is of the few hunt sites I frequent none of them have a 'bad outfitter experience' forum section. Risk and litigation potential aside... that is OUR fault, and we should demand it.Sorry you had a bad experience. Interesting reading your comparisons though.

Quick Reply: DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.