Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

African Plains Game

Old 03-24-2003, 04:47 PM

Default African Plains Game

I' ve booked a South African Plains Game hunt for Aug 15 through the 24th and would appreciate any suggestions for a first timer. All replies appreciated.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: African Plains Game

I went to South Africa last May--- Take lots of pictures & a camcorder if you have one. Try & enjoy some of the local food, wine, etc. If you can fit in a trip to a National Park. My hunt was for 7 days & then 3 days touring Kruger National Park. Kruger was a big part of the trip, we saw the Big 5 and even saw 2 lions that had mauled a giraffe. They had the giraffe cornered, ity was bleeding from the hocks & the PH said they would probably finish the kill after sundown.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:14 PM

LPD17,

Congrat' s on the African trip. I' m envious, looks like you' ll be getting into some serious Big Game Hunting -- I hope you have a great trip.

With too few exceptions, this site (as great as it is) is fairly provincial and has a HEAVY North American (especially lower 48) bias and is pretty well " benchmarked" at whitetail deer and 30-06' s. Kudu, Eland, or Bongo hunting advice? --- I' m afraid that' s likely to be a bit of a stretch.

An appropriate website to find an abundance of experience based answers for your question would be www.accuratereloading.com -- don' t let the name deceive you -- these guys are hard core African hunters. They have had a thread that is right on beam to your question within the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Never Go Undergunned,

EKM
Old 03-25-2003, 03:01 PM

There is also an African Big Game hunting forum at shooters.com.
There a few guys from Africa who get on there from time to time and give some good info.
Good luck on your hunt!
Old 03-25-2003, 04:58 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Study up on the animals you are interested in! Know what constitues a good trophy before you go and be able to identify the animals. You are in for the trip of a lifetime. A word of warning, you will go back. I would suggest you spend some money on a good camera and get a telephoto lens. I am not much interested in photography but I bought a good one with a zoom lens before I went and am so glad that I did. Compared to the cost of the hunt this is a minimal expense. Not sure how your travel arrangements work but you will likely fly out of New York or Miami to Africa, don' t check your baggage straight through. I made that mistake, waited a day for my luggage to arrive from New York. Claim it, then recheck it before the final leg of the flight. If it means a couple extra hours in the airport it is worth it. Contact your guides right before you leave to make sure they know when and where you will be arriving. Get a cell phone number from them in case things do not go as planned. Try to take an extra of most things as once you get there you can' t buy a lot of hunting equiptment. I' m sure they told you that though. Any other specific questions let me know. You will love it.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

Did you get my PM ??