Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Sitka Blacktail

Old 03-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sitka Blacktail

Does anyone have any experience with any guides and outfitters from Alaska, hunting Sitka Blacktails?
I would appreciate any information. Thanks
Old 03-24-2003, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sitka Blacktail

I guess no one who uses this forum knows anything about hunting sitka blacktails, or has any experience with any outfitters!
Old 03-24-2003, 09:18 PM

Cheer up Whipper Snapper! I don' t have too much information to share with you on specific guides, but I can probably help you out.

Your two best options are either Kodiak or Prince of Whales islands.

If you hunt Kodiak, do it in style, get a few of your buds together and go out on a fishing vessel for a week. Enjoy the comforts of a cozy warm bed, hot cooked meals and the freedom to cover alot of ground. The fact you will get to experience and see perhaps the most respected and feared animal in N.A. is a bonus. You can also get into some halibut fishing and duck hunting. I believe I can fix you up with an individual if this floats your boat.

POW is a good place to go for a self guided hunt. You can get into prime deer and black bear hunting, and you don' t need a guide for the bear. This island boasts a good success rate for the deer and trophy bear hunter. If you lived closer to the west coast you could ferry to the island and take your rig with you. Considering your location, you could always rent a rig on the island, or perhaps Seattle and then ferry over. I do know of an individual who could provide you with guiding services if this is what you prefer. Depending on the time of year you go, you may end of using a skiff and skimming the beaches for bears one day and backpack hunting above alpine the following day for deer.

This is only a very brief description of each. If you care to know more, post away or email me.

Jim
Old 03-25-2003, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Dalliwacker, thanks for the info. I will be looking to go on a trip to alaska, by next year, i am just trying to compile some info in the meantime.
This morning i found a couple of links to outfitters with the boats you were talking about. Pretty slick setup. That probably would be the way to go.
You are right about my location, iam on the other side of the U.S. so iam a little limited on ways to travel. Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:56 PM

bbahunter, I am relatively new on the board and just picked up the thread, so I am sorry I didn' t respond earlier. I hunted Sitka Blacktails way back in Fall of 1998. The outfitter I went with was named Tom McConnell, and he trades by the outfit name of Joyce Marie Charters. Website follows:

http://www.ak-biz.com/joycemarie/index.html

Five of us went on the hunt, and we were all successful in taking nice bucks. Mine was a 5X4 which grossed 96 3/4. The hunt is from a boat, an approximately 45 foot trawler. The five of us bunked in the rear end of the boat. Meals were provided, and the trip was reasonable in cost. It is not fully guided, but they take you to shore in a skiff and you hunt all day, then they pick you up at night. If you take a nice buck or two, the fishing was superb. We caught halibut up to 120 or so pounds, and more rockfish than we could count.

If you would email me at [email protected], I will be happy to email you a story I wrote about the trip, complete with pictures. It is in Microsoft Word, and is about a 915,000 KB file, so it might take awhile to download.