Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

BIG BULL DOWN!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: BIG BULL DOWN!

Great animal
Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

From the link that Stubblejumper provided
This bull was the governor’s tag for eastern washington. He was shot on Chase Mountain with the assistance from several guides. When the bull was found, the hunter was called, he flew in to Walla Walla airport, and then shot the bull the next day. He took the horns, and got back on his jet and left. I think it is wrong and disrespectful of the animal. If you can’t put in the time and effort to respect the animal, DON’T HUNT IT.
So he paid $63,000 for a govenors tag and simply flewin for a daytobethe trigger man after a team of guides pin pointed the bull for him?

If true this is a bunch of BS. He should be photo shopped out of the picture and name deletedso we can admire the bull and not this dousche bag.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:41 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

A little balance would probably be helpful.

The $63,000 gained by the state's department of wildlife will go much further towards the enhancement of the species than 10 tags sold to "A-Okay Hunters" at the going rate, it seems requisite to give at least some credit where credit is due.

Personally, I always associate elk hunting with the expenditure of work, time, discomfort, AND a fair amount of money (not $63,000) so at first glimpse it does sound like this guy is gettingtoo much of a short cut, but you didn't really think the governors tag was going to go to Billy Bob did you?

What happened isn't that much different from "leach hunter" Billy Bob leaving work Friday, driving into the night, joining his buddies who have had the camp set up for a week and done the scouting.... Billy Bob goes out opening day, gets luckyand pops a monster bull based on his buddies allowing, and Billy Bobhas to be back to his job back in town on Monday. These types of guys are common andaren't really that much different from rich dude except they don't contribute anything.

Most folks who have been both rich and poor will tell you, rich is better. Money holds the ability to compress time and achieve the otherwise unachievable. On balance, I would encourage folks to be cautious ofpenis envy.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:03 AM
Dominant Buck

So he bought the rights to hunt the animal. If the hunt was fair chase on a wild elk then all I can say is with money comes privilege. It is no different than someone shelling out $4,000 to go fly fish Labrador for trophy 7 pound brook trout or going to Africa to hunt several exotic species. The average Joe can't afford that. As an elk hunter I understand most animals come with hard work. This person took a short cut but if it was fair chase then I don't have a beef with it. Here in Vermont, moose hunting is by lottery. I usually put in if I am going to be in state at the time of the hunt, but so far haven't drawn. There is an opportunity for 5 hunters to buy a tag through a blind auction and they are awarded to the 5 highest bidders. The money goes into the cash strapped F&W Department. Obviously someone with a lot of cash is able to secure one of these 5 licenses. I view the big elk as similar except more money was spent and the person used more people to help locate the animal. Great animal and would it be any better if it was shot by an unemployed hunter looking for food? Probably not.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

"Penis Envy"??? What that guy did was the equivalent of buying a hi class hooker, and the six guides were the elks pimps. Game commission's budget be damned. What a way to sour the sport.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice elk.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great animal and would it be any better if it was shot by an unemployed hunter looking for food? Probably not.
It would be better ifthe hunterhad put in the work to kill the elk rather than paying a team of people to do the work for him. Or at least gone one on one with a guide for a week.

Who cares what the tag cost him. The cost of the tag is irrelevant and isn't the point at all.

The "hunters" actions are the point. To simplyflyin for a dayonly after the team of guides that you are paying gives you a phone call just so you can pull the trigger, take your picture and mount the antlers on the wall so you can brag to your buddiesis complete B.S.

I would hate to see elk hunting end up like what a lot of white tail deer hunting has become.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the time he paid for airline tickets, guide fees, governors tag, taxidermy, etc....that's one expensive elk for sure. And I'd guess that he didn't "want" any of the meat, so he probably so kindly donated it!! Just goes to show, money might not be able to buy happiness, but it certainly can help one put big antlers on the wall!!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:38 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

I'm thinking if I just spent $63,000 for an elk tag, then I'm going to make sure I get my money's worth and I'm not going to leave much to chance. Kinda like a well planned commando raid: good intelligence, capable people on the scene, air support, advanced technology, play to win.... blaze in, make the hit, and get out. The state just got what they wanted; this guy madesure he got what he he wanted. You never know, perhapshe had another huntor two or threehe had to get back to in between financial dealings.

Regarding the meat, many hunters have their elk meat processed and freighted forward to their homes.... I don't know if he did, but many do. In his case, probably better to have the meat at the processor getting all cooled down and well handled than to have it in a cooler on ice in the back of the Gulfstream V for the return trip home.

Even Billy-Bob-got-to-get-back-to-work-on-Monday will generally count on the same huntingbuddies to handle his elk meat for him.
================================================== =

BB,

You need to get your arse back here to Colorado and get your elk hunting fix as it seems you're getting kinda cranky, maybe it isa withdrawl thing. Making the trip clear out here from Florida and then all the way back, boy that would be a tough one.You know, using the airlines (instead ofa private jet) could help make the elk hunt "schedule out better"versus your time away from work and your absence from your family.

If your dad and family could have everything set up for your arrival here on the Colorado end, they might be able to pick you up at the airport and you wouldn't even have to rent a car. I know, it might not be what you feel is the "right way to hunt" but at least you would be in the game, I'm betting they could even handle getting it processed for you and air freight it down there.

How long has it been now?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

You need to get your arse back here to Colorado and get your elk hunting fix as it seems you're getting kinda cranky, maybe it isa withdrawl thing.
Tell me about it. I think I get fed up at work with moronic "hunters" I have to deal with on a daily basis so my patients runs thin for things like this.

One came into the store today that I absolutely despise. Two years ago he brought in the pictures of a beautiful 6x6 bull he shot in S.W. Colorado that looked like it would easilymake B&C. He bragged about how he made a 500+ yard running shot "right through the heart" and dropped it with one shot. (I call B.S.)Then 20 minutes later proceded to tell me how the meat spoiled because he couldn't get it gutted and it sat there for nearly 2 days before he could get back to it with help. [:@]I wanted to reach across the counter and throat punch him.

I thinkI just gotta get out of this business so I can quit listening to A-holes like this guy. It can put a damper on hunting.

How long has it been now?
I think 5, maybe 6loooooooooooong years.

I talk to my father about hunting out there every year but the lastfew years my wife has had a hiatal hernia repaired, a hysterectomy, andher gall bladder removed. Kind of put the X on the elk funds. But priorities are priorities and she is doing well. Hopefully it will work out this year. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't know if I want to bring a friend and archery hunt or go with my father and rifle hunt. I would much rather hunt with my bow out there with one other person in a spike camp up on the ridges each nightbut my father doesn't bow hunt. [&:]Likely I will go with my father with the rifle though. And you will be pleased to know I will bring my 338RUM.

The wife and I do plan on moving back out there as soon as the kids graduate high school. My son in 3 years and my daughter in 5 years.I soooooo miss the mountains.

Quick Reply: BIG BULL DOWN!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.