Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hello from Africa!

Old 10-02-2008, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hello from Africa!

Awwww..... Zimbabwe. I hunted there a few years ago and also went up the Lake Kariba (sp) for some Tiger fishing. Didn't have any luck but the scenery was breathtaking. Saw a wide variety of animals while I was up there. Had a herd of elephants come through the place we were staying. Some day I would love to return to Africa.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:55 AM

Yes, beautiful place! I go there with clients at least once a year. In which area did you hunt and what was the name of the outfitter and professional hunter?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

victorhunt,
I sent you a PM but for the rest of you that are curious. I hunted around the Kadoma area (I think), with Mopani Safaris. Mr. Victor has been nice enought to find out if the guy I hunted with is still there. I hunted with Alex Kirkman and had a wonderful time. Zimbabwe has been in termoil for quite some time and I had lost contact with the PH I used. I knew he was one of the guys kicked off of his farm with the Mugabe sponsered takeovers. Thanks to Mr. Victor I hear Alex is doing fine.
If any of you have the slightest desire to hunt africa please contact Mr. Victor and he can probably point you in the right direction. Once you have been to Africa it will stay in your blood!!! SOmeday I hope to return.
WW
Old 10-02-2008, 01:52 PM

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it. Yes, I hunted in Alex's area this year and took a very good Sable with a client and friend from France. I do hunt a lot of different areas in Zim but most of all I prefer the Zambezi Valley, it is just breathtakingly beautiful and still very wild. Who knows, maybe someday I will see you in Africa and we can drink a G&T on the banks of the Zambezi. Thanks again!
Old 10-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

blacktails are suposedly the result of a muley /whitetail cross breed they are only found on the west coast all the way from california to alaska.google blacktail deer and go look at some pics. the thing is they are so elusive and solataire , and the terrain here is so dense and rugged they are hard to hunt.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:22 PM

Whow, it sounds chalenging to hunt then. Our Kudu from Africa is also very elusive and difficult to hunt. They are called the grey ghost of Africa for a good reason. Here is a photo of one:

Old 10-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.blacktailcountry.com/index.htm

hello, check out this site and look at some of the oregon bucks , just because thats were I live . but there has been some nice bucks harvested in my area of southern oregon. by the way I was in kenya in 1982 in the navy wish I could hunt there someday.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:45 PM

I had a look! They are very pretty animals. How do you measure a trophy in one of these or how do you know if it is agood trophy if you see one? Are they good eating?

I have never been to Kenya. Hunting have been closed for the last 25 or 35 years there. It used to be a very well known hunting destination many, many years back. I am sure there are lots of huge trophies walking around there at this stage. I doubt that they will ever open for hunting again though.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

they go by size and weight and they have a scientific formula where they measure the girth and lenght at various predetermined areas on the antles to come up with a score, that is recorded in boone and crockitt or pope and young.they are very good eating it is a red meat and is not very gamey. my brother who lives in new mexico got a gamesbok last year on a special hunt i will try to post a pic, it was only about 350 lbs with 22 inch horns he said it was a little one ??