Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Hunting Advice

Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 PM

Default Bear Hunting Advice

I'm a first time bear hunter in the U.P. of Michigan trying to take my first bear with a bow. I have trail cam pics of a decent 200 lb bear whichI'm trying to pursue. The bear tends to enter my bait site from the same direction, actualy on the same trail as I have entered from the start of baiting. I started hunting Monday, two nights now with a half an hour of daylight left I've been able to smell the presence of a bear but it will not show before nightfall. I'm a person who believe if something is not working change. It seems either the bear is entering on my trail, detecting my presence, and refusing to come into the bait, or the bear is hanging up and intending to enter after nightfall. I see that I have two options, either enter the site from a different direction, or since I hunt with a climber try to position myself 50 yards orso up the trail in an attemptto intercept himduring daylight. I'mwondering if anyone has any advice on the situation or any additional thought. Also wondering if all bear smell or just larger males? Thanks, here area fewpictures of the bear I'm after.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:12 PM

Default RE: Bear Hunting Advice

Another Pic

Old 09-20-2008, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

nice bear, I would try to enter from a different direction, and move up the trail a little bit. Not to far. but just about to where you think the bear is hanging up at. Just my .02 cents.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:48 PM

I decided to move my stand in the direction he seems to be entering and also enter the area differently. A local well respected bear hunter told me to move my bait, even if it's 20 yards he said it may completely change the bears habits as he trys to claim the new bait. Going to give that a try, this darn East wind didn't allow me to hunt tonight, hopefully if the wind changes I'll get to post some pics with my hands on the bruin.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

Try going in 5 hours before you expect the bear to appear. It takes that long for your scent to dissapate before a larger bear will feel comfortable the area is clear.

Gerry
Old 09-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Spike

I agree with the moving the bait, I would move 75 to 100 in my opinion, only. I might move the stand a little on the trail and intercept him while he is hanging up first though. Both worth giving a try.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

So you can smell a bear before he comes In? Never have I been able to smell a bear before In 20 years of hunting them. Sounds like you have a nocturnal bear. There a pain In the ass to deal with!! He knows your there. Sometimes just backing out and not hunting It for a few days will do the trick sometimes. Try a different scent the next time you hunt that you haven't used before at this particular bait site. Load your tree with this stuff, It's a good cover scent as well. Just for the heck of It try leaving a piece of your hunting outfit In your stand over night. That might keep him from coming In when your not there, Its worked for me a few different times and finally they get hungry enough and will come In during the day. Try starving him too once. Don't put hardly any bait In. If nothing worked that I suggested try and move your stand 30 yards or so In the direction (trail) that he Is coming from like others have said.