Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting 101

Old 09-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Elk Hunting 101

I would love to try elk hunting for the first time but no one I know does it. For a newbie, what resources would you recommend to begin my research - web sites, books, etc? Would you suggest giving an outfitter a trybefore I do this on my own? If so, tips on that? Direct me to a post if there already is one. My search function never works so I couldn't find one. Thx!
Old 09-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk Hunting 101

I should also add, I'd like to bowhunt when I go. And Colorado looks like a close option. Thanks for any advice guys. Not looking for you to do all the work for me, just point me in the right direction of where to start finding things out for myself.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

There is none better in one place:

http://members.tripod.com/~elkhunter2/
Old 09-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Spike

I just came back from a successful Elk hunt in Co. I went with Winterhawk Outfitters, a bit expensive but well worth it. This was my first time hunting Elk, grew up hunting deer, turkey & pheasant in PA. Hunting Elk is nothing like hunting white tail. I would reccomend an outfitter 1st time out. I can honestly say I would have had a great week of hunting with or without taking a bull. The mountains in Colorado were awesome, I hunted public land (Flat Tops Wilderness / White River National Forrest) on horseback
There are alot of outfitters out there with all kinds of hunts. I was looking for a fair chase hunt, make sure you ask for references and use them. Remember you get what you pay for, ask lots of questions.

Oh by the way, get in shape if you want to get where the big bulls are!
Old 09-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Here are a few sites to check out. Colorado isa state that makes it very easy to hunt in. Lots of public ground, over the counter tags, and a lot of elk. You need to put in a bunch of time studying allthe information you can.You can do it yourself by trial and error. It's a fun way of learning to elk hunt butdon't set your expectations to high. Guides are expensive but it shortens the learning curve if you get a good one. Colorado offers many types of terrain to hunt in.The state is divided into hunting "units", some are draw units and some are over the counter units. Study the unit map to find out which is which. Decide which area interests you then start narrowing down the area within a unit.
After you get an area narrowed down then download Google Earth and start usingit to study the terrain. It's a great tool you can use to find out what to expect. Get aGPS unit and plug in the coordinates to afew of the areas you would like to check out. Look for north facing slopes covered in dark pine forest. Elk bed in these areas. If you can find water nearby then you are on the right track. Go to the CDOW website and find out where the resident herds are located. Now you're getting serious! After you've done all this, then get your bow out and practice, practice, practice.
During this time of studying, you alsoneed to be doing somewalking,jogging and running. Get in shape! Elk hunting will be an extremely physical demand on yourbody.After you chase bulls up and downsteep mountain terrain and you finally get the shot you've dreamed of and the bull is on the ground, that's when the work starts.Getting an 800 lb bullback to the truck is going to be a chore. You better be in shape!
Hope this gives you alittle information to start with. There are a lot of elk hunters on here and on Monster Muleys. Most are great people with a lot of information, butdo your homework first. Askgeneral questions abouthunting areas, don't expect anyone to give away honey holes. Good luck!
http://wildlife.state.co.us/
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/GMUnitMaps.htm
http://www.monstermuleys.com/
Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys! A lot of good stuff. I will check them out and appreciate the help in getting started on my research.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Spike

Try the rocky mountain elk foundation website.