Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bears while Elk Hunting

Old 09-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Spike

Default Bears while Elk Hunting

Just curious what the probability is of seeing a bear while Elk Hunting. My uncle and I are headed to Montana for a hunt. While he does not haveElk tag, he bought an otc bear tag. We'll be in SW Montana. I've never Elk hunted, nor bear hunted. But Elk is the #1 goal on this trip, so what are the odds we'll see a bear? Any tips for fall bear hunting in Montana?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bears while Elk Hunting

Where in SW Montana? There are some really good bear populations in some areas. This year in particular there seem to be more bears than normal.

Fall bear hunting to me has always been if you happen to stumble across one. In the spring you can hunt old logging roads looking for bears that are eating clover and other stuff trying to gain weight after hibernation.

Is this a DIY hunt or are you going to be using an outfitter?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you happen to shoot an elk early in your hunt, you can always hunt near (over)the gutpile of that elk the next couple of days which may increase your odds of seeing something.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Spike

This is a DIY hunt near Wisdom, MT. We were kind of taking the approach you mentioned. "If we stumble on it." It gives my unlce a reason to carry a gun and a shot a something. Plus the tag was available OTC.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anything to keep him happy so he will be willing to help pack an elk out if you get one!

That area is a little farther west than the area I'm familiar with so not sure on bear populations there.

Good luck though!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:20 PM

I hunted deer and elk in the bitterroot valley (hamilton).in 30 years hunting in the valley i saw one black bear,and it was so small i thought at first that it was a dog!! it was laying in a depression in the ground and I was about three steps away from tripping over it when it jumped up and tore off through the woods bawling like I had kicked it!!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Your chances of "STUMBLING" across a bear are probably slim unless you do a lot of glassing openings. But if you walk alot probably not but the opportunity is always there when you are in the high country.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

Find the BERRIES find the BEARS! this time of year. You didn't say when your tag is. If In October into earlyNovember I would try glassing rocky hillsides and blowdowns. That time of the year they will be turning stuff over grubbing.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

While not in your neck of the woods, ( I was in Idaho) my first evening ever of elk hunting I had a bear basically walk right up to me. The area we hunted had tons of bear scat & tracks.
This year’s trip I have a bear tag just in case. Elk will still be the main priority, but one never knows.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

On my elk hunt in NM, got to talking to a guy who had asked a guide up in MT that same question, regarding grizzlies etc...

he figured a guide would run into a few grizzlies a season, he told us that guides were constantly running into them, that this outfitter had I think 2 guides mauled or charged etc...

I just remember him being surprised by how bad it was...that it was a real problem/chance.

I'd certainly either have a rifle ready, and/or bear spray.

Quick Reply: Bears while Elk Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.