Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What can I expect from Newfoundland? >

What can I expect from Newfoundland?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What can I expect from Newfoundland?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:10 AM

Default What can I expect from Newfoundland?

I am seriously looking into a moose hunt in Newfoundland. looking for hunters or others in the know who can give me some realizistic exspectations on what I could see. As this will be a once in a lifetime shot at a moose I would like to know what Quality and or size I would espect to find there. I'm not looking for a 60/70 incher but would a48 - 50" be a reallistic exspectation. My thought is if I'm spending this kind of money I guess I can wait a little longer and go elsewhere, but fora hunt elsewhere I could add a caribou into my hunt in Newfoundland.So what do you think guys?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What can I expect from Newfoundland?

Expect lots of solitude................ and if you have the bad luck of getting seriously injured, you better have a satellite phone so you can call the
resources needed to medi-vac you out before you die.

It's a beautiful place. But after one day there on a Moose hunt, I realized if anything were to go wrong- we were in deep $h!t. Pick your guides carefully- choose the areas will be hunting even more carefully. A 48-50" Moose is very do-able depending on the area you are hunting.

Rob
Old 09-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

I have friends that have gone and enjoyed it, I have other friends that return there every 2 years,They have always had success but trophies... not every year!!but there is some nice moose there.
Check out "hunting footage .com" look for video from newfielander!! he must be some guide!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Fork Horn

I have been to Newfoundland a few times, and I would say the the chance on a moose 50in, is a moose of a lifetime. I would say that the average I have seen is about 30in. The last time I went, On the ferry ride home there was hundreds of moose hunters, and the biggest was 50 in. I love the place but in my mind trophy moose hunts in Newfoundland, is a waste. I think you would be better served going somewhere else. The Yukon and Alaska would be best trophy quality, and the most expensive. I would say that British Columbia and Alberta is the best deal for the money, 50 inch is more realistic in these places

Old 09-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Spike

I agree with kybuck, if you want have realistic expectations figure on the 30 to 40" range. I have hunted there 3 times and shot 3 bulls the biggest was 38". you will have very good chance at getting a moose, if you do what it takes to get to them, alot of walking the bogs or clearcuts. Do your homework on selecting a outfitter, just like any where else, talk to alot of hunters on the ferry and there are some hunters who had a bad hunt and it seemed like most of them were on fly in hunts. check the outfitters references.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Spike

I'll be heading out Oct 11th for a hunt there. I spent2 1/2 months requesting info from about 12 outfitters, narrowing that down to 6 (based on price range, what theyoffered, etc.),got references for each,cut that down to 2. You have to watch it, there are a few thatuses OLD references, don't knowwhy, and watch for hidden charges (transportation, skinning/butchering, etc).You have to do your homework. My original plan was to go next year, and one had anfresh cancellation for this Oct, so I figured Why wait?I'm going for the experience of getting to go MOOSE hunting (not many here in IND), but while talking to the outfitter, he asked my expectations, I told him "Not concerned for big boards/spread,I'd be happy with nice equal paddles", hewas pretty certain that could be achieved. I'll let everyone know how it went. Wish me luck!!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunted NL 3 times in a row 2003 to 2005 all at the same outfitter Snowshoe Lake Hunting and Fishing out of Millertown, Newfoundland. They have a comfortable cabin complex located right on Snowshoe Lake which is about a 2 hour ride on dirt roads from the 2 lane paved road which goes to Millertown.The hunting area is about in the center of the Island and it is excellent for woodland caribou, moose and bear. I always went near the end of October and only hunted caribou but the hunters that go late Sept or early October do quite well for moose. I have seen plenty of moose antlers in the 30 to 50 inch range at the cabin drying and on live animals in the field. They offer combo hunts for both bou and moose but I would recommend going for longer than a 5 day hunt if you want 2 animals. We always had 100% success hunting caribou and from what I have been told the ratio is about the same for moose especially during the rut when the good bulls can be called. We saw lots of moose while caribou hunting and our guide called a few in for us to look at even though the rut was past. Get ready for some serious hiking in a pristine wilderness setting with some very experienced guides who can really call a bull moose. Good 18” rubber boots and quality rain gear are a must. The terrain is black spruce bogs mixed with open tundra and walking is difficult and wet. If you like good home cooking, great guides and what was a reasonable price last time I checked, try Snowshoe. The only reason why I stopped going was because I started to hunt elk out west. If you want to give them a try you can contact them at:
[email protected]
book early though since they are mostly filled with return clients who are given first priority.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you really want a 48" to 50" moose,you might want to consider somewhere else.50" moose can be found in Newfoundland,but they certainly are not what the average hunter takes home.However,in Northern B.C. you can expect to see several 48" to 50" moose on a hunt,and will more than likely bring one home.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

We see them in here Vermont, NH and Maine over 60" all the time. The trick is drawing the lottery. The racks from NL do seem to be more compact. The herd is captive on the island and was actually introduced in 1904 with 4 animals that came from New Brunswick. Not a lot of selective breeding I guess which might limit the genetics I suppose.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:55 PM

Champlain, been trying to get a permit in those states for years, with no luck.
thanks for every ones opinons, I seems my first instincts where correct 48-50 is asking a little to much for Newfoundland. My guess is there are 50's there but with just one shot at a moose hunt for this size, alberta BC or one of the other western prov. would be my best bet. Unfortunatley on a working mans salary ALaska or Yukon are out of the question.

Quick Reply: What can I expect from Newfoundland?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.