Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose Hunting

Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Moose Hunting

September will be here before we know it and I will be going on my first moose hunt. I posted this a couple of months ago, but I will be going to New Brunswick with a guide. I have never been moose hunting... does anyone have any tips, etc. on anything I should expect, plan for, etc?

Old 08-07-2008, 02:36 PM

Default RE: Moose Hunting

Good luck ,Your guide should take care of most of that .I can't wait to hear about the pack .I did it without a guide but had some buddies to help me out.

[/align]
Old 08-07-2008, 05:39 PM

Be prepared for all weather conditions. I've seen everything from 6 inches of snow to 70 degree temperatures. Have good rain gear and be prepared to walk in the wet stuff. You often get a hatch of black flies during moose season, so be prepared to deal with them - I'm trying out a thermacell this season.

Learn to call. Even though the guide will likely take care of this, a strategic bull grunt may just draw him into the open.

Don't go crazy with magnum rifles and hard bullets. Up here most moose are killed with .303s, .308s and 30-06s and standard bullets. I like something .30 calibre or larger shooting slightly heavy-for-calibre bullets (I look for an SD of .265+).
Old 08-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Spike

Hey,, Good Luck to You!! I'll be heading to Newfoundland for my 1st moose hunt in October.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck on your trip. Get ready for some stalking. I haven't hunted moose myselfwith a weapon in hand yet but have gone with friends who were drawn from the lottery we have. It can be very challenging which makes it that much more fun. Like mentioned your guide should be able to hook you up with all the info you need and do the majority of the work for you (calling, gutting, caping, hopefully the lugging seeing how he is working for you. Ask plenty of questions and have a great time. Remember dont guide the guide and you should be in for a great hunt.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I can't wait. I hope to have a great story to share and will be sure to get a bunch of pics. Hopefully there will be a nice Bull in the pics...

Old 08-11-2008, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

That's great i'm sure you will have a good time. You going after them with a bow or rifle?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed Moose in Newfoundland....

If you're going during the rut..hold on. You're in for a hunt of a life time...after hunting whitetails all my life the moose hunt made its mark on me....when you walk up on that 1300 pound animal you will think you shot a horse...but bigger....My Moose was a 45 inch bull and he look awesome on the wall...Have a nice trip! What are you using? Rifle? Bow?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I plan on bringing my bow & rifle... If I get a shot w/ the bow...great, but I plan on using my .300 Weatherby.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck and you will have a ball.

Quick Reply: Moose Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.