Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Anyone know how to make homemade MRE's >

Anyone know how to make homemade MRE's

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Anyone know how to make homemade MRE's

Old 07-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone know how to make homemade MRE's

hey guys I am going on a moose hunt this year and we have to paddle with canoes back in to the Boundry Waters on the Minnesota and Canada border about 15 miles to get to where we are going. I was looking at MRE's and they are kinda pricey for a 2 week supply so I was wondering if anybody new how ore knows of a good website that could help in making my own.

Thanks guys
Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone know how to make homemade MRE's

Easier to just buy them. I would say use a vacuum sealer but you would still need refrigeration or ice.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never made MRE's per se, but you could always dehydrate your food. Makes your food lighter, and more compact.
Once you want to "cook" it you just boil some water and throw it in there.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Try EBAY. I bought some dehydrated food for less than half of stores pricelast year.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Fully dehydrate leftover from dinner and vaccum seal. The July/aigust issue of Eastmans Bowhunting journal has a comprehensive article about backcountry food prep.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:09 PM

A lot of dry food can be found a your local grocrey store. hambuger helper , cook and Dry your ground beef.

If you want some ideas E-mail me @ [email protected]
Old 07-30-2008, 06:38 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Mmmmm MRE's.... [:'(]

Just make sure you are really hungry when you sit down to eat one, otherwise, not so good.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

We usually buy the mountain house meals for our backcountry expeditions. I lived off them for a 30 day no resupply trip, they do start to do some funky things to your internals after that long, but nothing too bad. Dehydrated potatos and gravy packets that you just add water to work great also, especially if you take a few cans of chicken to mix into the gravy. The Tuna pouches make for good protein in a light compact package also. The military style self heating mre's are too heavy and bulky for what I would pack, though for just a couple day trip they work, I always feel like I am opening a x-mas present with them since there is so much stuff inside of one.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Go to your grocery store. Now days there are lots of dry soup mixes, tuna and chicken in foil packs and bean & rice meals that are good to go. These have pretty good nutritional value. You can make your own soop mix (rice, noodles, beans or lentils, & dried veggies) and add meat from a foil pack or use the fish you catch. In addition to jerky, if you can find the aged (dried) summer sausage, it will keep without being refrigerated, but it's hard to find.

Spud

Old 08-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

After 21 years in the Canadian Military and we have pretty good rats, all I can say is, take the weight and pack steak.

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to make homemade MRE's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.