Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Bait Ideas

Old 07-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bear Bait Ideas

I am going to try bear hunting in a zone this year that doesn't aloow a bait station in the traditional sense you can not leave anything out over nught everyting must go with you when you leave. Does anybody have anygood ideas they could offer up?

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bear Bait Ideas

Sounds like you can only use scents, if thats the case I would use Anise oil put it over some old pastry, It will draw a bear from quite a distance.
Redclub
Old 07-22-2008, 04:33 AM
Spike

Try mixing anise with vegetable oil.This will help it stick and last longer when it rains.I use a super-soaker squirt gun to spray the mixture up into the trees to get the scent to carry further on a breeze.You can mix raspberry jello in water and do the same thing.If you can save your bacon grease and do a burn with it to put the aroma in the air.I also do a sardine in oil burn to make it smell like a fish fry going on and where you cannot bait then just put the scraps of fish in a jar and take them out with you.You can also use vanilla extract which is sweet smelling and bears love it.I mix it with water and spray it into the trees also.I also buy jars of petroleum jelly and melt them down to a liquid state and then mix in vanilla or anise and then let it harden up again.This mixture adheres well to trees and stumps and does not readily wash away when it rains.Also try doing a honey burn.The pungent smell from this when the honey starts burning will also attract bears.The smoke it creates tends to cling to trees and limbs and can be smelled a long ways off.I also use liquid smoke and spray this around.[/b]

WATERPROOF SCENT PASTE[/b]
[/b]
Use large jars of Vaseline and heat them enough to turn them back to a liquid.[/b]
Use scents eg. Anise,vanilla,cherry raspberry etc. and mix in a few ounces of each ,1 flavor per jar and mix it in well and let cool back to a paste. [/b]
[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
Mix 30% anise and 70% vegetable oil together and put in spray bottle.[/b]
[/b]
Anise oil can be expensive so I buy bags of black licorice and boil them to get the anise liquid from boiling.

Remember that since you are using scents only it will not take a bear long to figure out that there is no food source associated with these smells so be "PREPARED TO HUNT"!!![/b]
[/b]

Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys the super soaker sounds like a great Idea.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 4everbowhunt

Try mixing anise with vegetable oil.This will help it stick and last longer when it rains.I use a super-soaker squirt gun to spray the mixture up into the trees to get the scent to carry further on a breeze.You can mix raspberry jello in water and do the same thing.If you can save your bacon grease and do a burn with it to put the aroma in the air.I also do a sardine in oil burn to make it smell like a fish fry going on and where you cannot bait then just put the scraps of fish in a jar and take them out with you.You can also use vanilla extract which is sweet smelling and bears love it.I mix it with water and spray it into the trees also.I also buy jars of petroleum jelly and melt them down to a liquid state and then mix in vanilla or anise and then let it harden up again.This mixture adheres well to trees and stumps and does not readily wash away when it rains.Also try doing a honey burn.The pungent smell from this when the honey starts burning will also attract bears.The smoke it creates tends to cling to trees and limbs and can be smelled a long ways off.I also use liquid smoke and spray this around.[/b]

WATERPROOF SCENT PASTE[/b]
[/b]
Use large jars of Vaseline and heat them enough to turn them back to a liquid.[/b]
Use scents eg. Anise,vanilla,cherry raspberry etc. and mix in a few ounces of each ,1 flavor per jar and mix it in well and let cool back to a paste. [/b]
[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
Mix 30% anise and 70% vegetable oil together and put in spray bottle.[/b]
[/b]
Anise oil can be expensive so I buy bags of black licorice and boil them to get the anise liquid from boiling.

Remember that since you are using scents only it will not take a bear long to figure out that there is no food source associated with these smells so be "PREPARED TO HUNT"!!![/b]
[/b]
Just wondering how you burn the stuff if you dry it first or if you just put it on a flame to heat or what the technique is. I am kind of new to bear junting this way so sorry if I sound stupid.

Mike
Old 07-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Also anybody know a good place to get anise oil for cheap i see it can be a little pricey.

Mike
Old 07-25-2008, 04:19 AM
Spike

To do a honey burn for example I put a couple of large tablespoons of honey in a metal container(coffee can,pot etc.) and place it on either a small coleman stove on low heat or use canned heat such as sterno.Use the fold open metal stove thingy when using sterno.If you place the container directly on top of the sterno can you will put the flame out as it needs oxygen to fuel the flame.I've used a torch under a pot hanging on a branch to do burns from my treestand but this is not adviseable if you have a lot of hornets around as the smell from the burn will attract them.When I sit a treestand I use a sterno type stove placed on the ground in my baitsiteand it usually takes about 1.5 hours to complete the burn.It is the pungent aroma put off when the honey burns that sticks to the trees and bears love the smell of it.When I set a bait I use a coleman stove cranked up to get things going as I do not want to spend a lot of time at just one site as I have quite a few I have to bait.As for a bacon burn or sardine burn I use the coleman and crank it up.I have not found a place yet to get anise cheap so like I posted earlier I boil black licorice and use the liquid after done boiling which smells just like anise.Vanilla extract is not expensive and also works very well.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

So for boiling the licorice just put the bag in the pot and melt it down or boil it in water and use the water.

Thanks again for all of the great advice if I manage to gett one this year I owe you all of the credit.

thanks again
Mike
Old 07-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I take it your going to BWCA? These burns should work well for you, great advice given in this thread!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:11 AM

What I use that is very affective is alot of liquid smoke and popcorn, its cheap and the scent will carry for quit awhile, Ive taken a few big ones and most big bears feed at night.

Quick Reply: Bear Bait Ideas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.