Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Deterrent

Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bear Deterrent

Has any one tried using hot sauce and I do mean HOT sauce say around 1,000,000 Scoville to deter bear from an area? I bought a 15oz. bottle of HOT sauce, 1 million Scoville units and placed some in the center of some honeybuns. To give you an idea how hot this stuff is a Jalapeno is about 2,500 units. [:'(]
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear Deterrent

Try some New Jersey death sauce...I've never tried it but one whiff of that stuff would get rid of them
Old 07-17-2008, 05:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

.44Mag makes a prety good deterent
Old 07-17-2008, 09:08 AM

In all the years hunting I've only had to deter 2 bears one was a grizz we found sleeping on my buddies caribou on the open tundra ,that time it took 2 shot from a 44,to awake him,He ran about a half a mile and sat down and watched us recover what we could,then he ran back to it when we walked a way .The other time was a black bear that ran in and started eating the moose I was butchering .I used a 375 rum at 10 yards the slug hit him in the shoulder and flipped him head over hills ,when he hit the ground he never moved again. I dought that I would ever take my finger off the trigger to get a spray can out and hope it detered a bear.But if thats what you want to try, good luck to you .

[/align]
Old 07-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

I'm in NC and it's not bear season yet. Just trying to keep a few black bears out of my deer area and away from my cameras. I have a .50AE Desert Eagle I've been itching to try out on one of my black furry friends. I don't think he wants none of the Eagle!!!!!
Old 07-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt that hot sauce would act as a deterrent Jack, and I'd bet, in fact, it would be more of an attractant, if you're talking about using it as a preventative measure (to smear on something in order to say "stay away"

It's been documented that even the UDAP bear sprays when applied to, say a tent or something, as a preventative measure, may actually attract bears. The spray is only to be used in self defense at the moment of attack.

Guns are always good if legal (unlike Yellowstone park or something), but many "bear experts" do swear by the spray and say it is quicker and your less likely to miss in the heat of an attack with it. I carry a can in griz country when fishin or bowhunting. Now though when bowhuntin I'm gonna have to carry a handgun and spray. Spray for the bears. Handgun for the wolves
Old 07-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Spike

You may want to check with your state wildlife officer first, (this could be considered as harassment of wildlife), but you may try a bear spray trap. Rig up a bear spray in a barrel, and when the bear trips the trip wire (or what ever mechinism you chose), it blasts them in the face. After 1 or 2 times, they get the hint and leave the area. Its a little less harsh, compared to .44mags and 375 rums going boom in the night.

This trick is done for trouble bears that are breaking into homes and stuff.
Again, this may be illegal in your area. 2 reason. 1. Harassment and 2. Baiting ofwildlife.