Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Cargo/Hunting trailers??

Old 07-15-2008, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default Cargo/Hunting trailers??

I just bought a new small cargo trailer for all my camping and hunting stuff. I am tired of having the stuff in the corner of the garage and worried the mice might get into my tents. It is NEVER all together and I always seem to forget something! This way it is all there.It is a pretty cool deal and has a rack on the top for all of our 100 qt coolers.I am thinking of mounting a stainless RV water tank on the tounge. I was wanting to see your guys rig and get some more ideas on what I could do to make it the ultimate hunting rig. Thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 07:05 AM

Default RE: Cargo/Hunting trailers??

I did that in the early 90s .I took 4 piano hinges and 4 sheets of 2'x6'plywood and hung them on the walls ,they fold down and hang from a chain to make 4 bunkbeds.It's setting in the yard right now full of stands and tents and everything else I need for long trips away from home.I have worn out 2 sets of tires from draging it all over the place in the past 15 years.I love it and couldn't live with out it .I have 2 gas tanks from grills on the front and a coleman gas stove and gas lights in it .
Old 07-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds nice. But a word of caution, when you add to the tongue you are adding tongue weight and in the case of a water tank potentially a substantial amount, depending on the size of the tank. So if you are talking 5 gallon tank, no big deal. A 55 gallon tank and you might be overloading the tongue weight of your trailer. Once again, depending on the size of the trailer and frame. You didn't say what size trailer? Single or tandem?
55 gallons of water weighs roughly 458 lbs. We take two drums of water in to our camp is where my knowledge comes from.

We use a 16 foot box/cargo trailer to transport/store some of our camp as well. Things that are only used a couple times of year (i.e tents/frames/stoves). Really nice to travel 800 miles and know that your gear is safe and dry upon arrival.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

It will carry all of our camping and hunting gear into the mountains. This will become the ultimate in Big game hunting. I have yet to come up with a "fancy name" for the mountain assault vehicle. It is getting a stainless 30 gallon water tank over the tounge, re configure the top rack to hold our 100 qt. coolers. It will be getting a universal hook up for the grill, skinning pole, lanterns, and, flood lights. It will store(mouse proof) the wall tent, folding tables, cots, dry boxes, propane bottles, heaters, and other gear, for the rest of the year.
If anyones got any ideas... throw them out there. I am ALL EARS! Help me set this thing up!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:11 AM

I put 2 rv roof vents on the roof,2 tiny widows on the sides and 1'' of insulation on the inside.My trailer is 6'x12' with tandum wheels.Keep the propane mounted on the outside.I put a table mount from a junked custom van on the floor and have the small table with cup holders in it from the van and made a larger one for eating on .On one tripout west with 4 guys we hunted 2 states for a total time of 28 days and hauled 12 big game animals home to Pa. with it .Everyone must bring a tent to unload their own stuff into it when we park.Other wise you wouldn't be able to get in it.I call mine spike ,base camp is here in s.w. pa. It can be -10 in the camper in the morning but by the time the coffee perks it's up to 50 or 60 degrees in there.