Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

hunting alone?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default hunting alone?

alright i want to get everybody's feeling on hunting alone. i enjoy being out by myself but my family worries and they really dont like me being out by myself. i know its dangerous but its more likely i will get hurt or killed in a car wreck on my way out than something happening to me while im out in the hills.

im confident enough in my outdoor skills and my common sence that i can avoid most problems i might have. i dont think thatmy thinking is naive because i know things go wrong to everybody not just the inexperienced. i know bad things can happen to me and they have before but everything major has been avoided.

what does everybody else think?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hunting alone?

Caseless I understand completely we go through the same thing here every year. I prefer to hunt alone and i usually laugh when my wife asks where i'm gonna be, cause I may end up 20 miles from where i started from.
I have been looking into some of the Garmin rhino's from what I understand I should be able to leave one at home and take the other with me, as long as its getting satelite reception my family will know where i'm at.

Good luck
Rogue
Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 PM

i hunt alone all the time find when i take someone i end up plying guide.dont see a problem with it at all my family bitches at me the same way says what if something happens bla bla bla. if it works for ya keep it up i just always make sure someone knows the general areas i will be huntin in.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

When the hunt is for me...I hunt alone...but my wife is tracking me...I don't know if that's good or bad
Old 07-15-2008, 12:59 AM

My first few years of hunting weren't so great.. I was 100% self taught, had nobody to hunt with, and had little money to go out. I did it anyway. After staying at it for a few years I have been blessed with a few buddies to hunt with,and I don't think I'll do much solo hunting in the future. I generally road and trail hunted, and only ventured a few hundred yards off the trail at most. I never trekked miles and miles into the backcountry wilderness alone and I don't think I ever will (without a buddy/guide).

A whistle and a spaceblanket, in my opinion, are the two most important items to double check before heading afield as a solo hunter. Yes you need water, but you can freeze to death much quicker than you can die of thirst. Three short blasts on a whistle means distress.

Cherish your good hunting buddies!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:00 AM
Matriarch Doe!

My husband and I hunt together alot, but since he bowhunts and I rifle hunt, the majority of the time I hunt alone.
Sometimes it's just for the day, or for the weekend, but every October I take off for 17 days by myself---a week for elk and a week for deer. He would never think of telling me "no", but I know he worries. So I call him every night on my way back to camp when I find somewhere with cellphone service to let him know that I'm okay and calling it a day.
During bull elk season (it only lasts a week here), if I'm on animals and decide to stick with them and not go back to camp, I call him that day and let him know he may not hear from me that night, but not to worry.
He knows I can take care of myself and it's okay. I'm lucky to be married to a good man who understands the importance of it all.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:16 AM

I solo hunt all the time ,sometimes my wife doesn't even know what state I'm in.She has gotten used to it.Now adays with cell phones and gps.she hears from me more often.I remember the old days when she would say isn't there any phones in montana or idaho or where ever you were.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

I've done it pretty much for 40 yrs. And I am tired of it. But it's not gonna change so I just do it.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

I head for the hills solo all the time. I tell my wife a general area I am heading too, but also call and let one of my buddies know where I am heading since they think like me and have a better chance of figuring out where I might wander. When I leave the road I always have at least a 1 day supply of food, water, fire starter, space blanket, and 2 way radio with me. I have seen that new personal locator beacon that Survivor Man (Les Stroud) is promoting, that might be a wise item to pack in the backcountry. When I was younger I wouldn't see the need, but now you start to worry about a rolled ankle or blown knee as age progresses. It is called the spot and looks to be the size of a 2way radio, it could really save your butt, would allot rather have this to send distress call than cutting off my arm, that is trapped under a rock, with a pocket knife.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

well it looks like we all kind of have the same situation so i dont feel so bad. i am always prepared with survival gear if something should happen that i ever need it. and as far as the cell phones im over an hour away from camp before i can get service and by then im less than an hour from home. so with the price of gas it really makes no sence to drive 60 miles to make a 2 minute phone call and then drive 60 miles back to camp.

i guess my biggest concerns are falling and breaking a leg and not being able to get help, and getting my animal down and back out to camp before a bunch of wolves or coyotes get to it. of course thats hardly a start to list the family sits home and worries about.

Quick Reply: hunting alone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.