Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Mexico 6C

Old 06-21-2008, 10:17 AM

Default New Mexico 6C

was curious if anyone has hunted 6C before. Im going with a guide since it's my first elk hunt. If anyone has hunted there before, please let me know what to expect. thanks.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Mexico 6C

rifle? ML? archery? which weapon and season?

I think you're going to have a good time regardless....probably should start exercising now.....I'd say set a exercise goal......then probably take another 10lbs off of that goal....add to that endurance goal as well. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Great spot. Used to be lots better before George Tallman and his group 'raped the elk hunting' there. Used to be able to see about 6 shooters a day. When USO found it I saw nothing but hunters and guides -- tons of them. That's why I left the spot to them. Haven't been there for about 10 years now. The best elk hunting is above 9,000 feet for the most part. Loved the area. Be prepared for the altitude. Lots of bulls up to 300 a few up to 340 and one or two up to 360. I did hear of a 400 plus gross bull by an archer. Of course all of this was before the hunting rapist George Tallman and USO got in there.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot. I drew a rifle tag for Oct 18-22.

What can i expect, besides the elevation? Im working out everyday now, so hopefully i can get in shape and not be too messed up in the elevation. It will be my first time on a big game hunt, and I dont want anything to slow me down.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:12 PM

I lve here in 6c the hunting used to rival anywhere in the state over tha last ten years it has gone down hill fast. Between the USO and unit 6b mismanagement finding elk can be real tough.
I have the early archery hunt and I pass on what I find during scouting and hunting to help you. would hate for you to come all the way from MO and not have a good hunt.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

wilderness athlete makes some supplements designed to help altitude aclamation.....something to try if you're concerned or have trouble with altitude.

don't want anyting to slow you down? haha good luck with that altitude, its tough, I'd say take it slow the 1st day, see how things go, don't plan to jump off the horse and run up those mtns.

Certainly helps to be in great shape, the better you can be the better off you will be, but those guides running around the mtns all day, and us lowlanders are 2 different things.

I'd take a look at your pack etc....and try to figure out ahead of time what you'll need etc...and lighten up your load as much as possible. Everything adds up....a pound here, pound there.

Maybe have that pack ready to go before you even land in NM, staying up late figuring out what you should bring or not etc....can cost you time/energy, waking up at 4am....etc...

but good luck, have that rifle dialed in too, I'd assume dead on at 200yds, and hopefully can take some 300 and 400yd shots before heading out there.

If going on horseback....talk to the guide about scaboards, and you might want to buy your own....
Old 06-28-2008, 05:05 PM

Frednfrog, i will definitely be hitting you up after your hunt. I hope you get a good one, but save a biggun for me!

Is the whole unit mountains?
Old 06-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

MallardSlayer:

Contact the NM Game & Fish, and ask a wildlife biologist the best places in Unit 6C. Go to www.wildlife.state.nm.us or call 505-476-8000. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:07 PM

The unit ranges from forested mesa tops around 7500' to dense forest up to 11,000+' 90% mountain terrain. What outfitter are you using?