Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 bears....successful....trip back home....disaster >

bears....successful....trip back home....disaster

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

bears....successful....trip back home....disaster

Old 06-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default bears....successful....trip back home....disaster

Some friends of ours went up bear hunting up in canada, (a estimated 25 hour drive from where we live).

The hunting was very successful. 3 people went, 2 of the 3 both got a bear around 200 pounds and the other shot one that was around 300 but they couldn't find it.
Well they were back in the truck and on the way home and 2/3 were asleep, and the other was driving. Well The driver ended up falling asleep at about half way home (about the border of southdakota and minnesota) when the truck started turning towards the ditch. The person in the drivers seat woke up from the feel of the turning vehicle and saw that he was about the gointo the ditch and he didn't have enough time to react. They went flying into the ditch and hit a cement calvert (spellcheck) and went flying in the air and came straight down and landed standing on their nose, after sliding 25 feet like that the truck finally landed on its wheels. The brand new truck (with around 7000 miles) was totalled. Another bad thing is that the air bags never went off. Luckily they had there seat belts on. Every one turned out alright, just some bruises from the seatbelts. All over there stuff was scattered within a 100 yard radius.

Lesson to be learned: When driving, always have someone awake with you at all time. Expecially on long drives.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:56 PM

Default RE: bears....successful....trip back home....disaster

That's the problem with those long tripshome -everyone's tired and in a hurry to make it back. Almost happened to me several times. Glad everyone's ok.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

With 3 guys that is something thats nice.....1 guy can sleep, 2 can be awake.....I find as long as someone else is up and talking with me I can stay away way longer, but if everyones asleep and all you have is the road and the radio, can be out in 30mins....

Good thing everyone came out alive, unharmed.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Sunflower seeds guys. It works for me. I get tired at the wheel -- I just start eating the seeds. It must be the movement to put shells in the ash tray or something. Give that a try next time. Pop, cigarettes, window open, loud radio or company does not work as well for me. Try the sunflower seeds.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

You got that right Andrew! Whenever traveling back or to a destination there's always someone awake in the vehicle to keep the driver awake. I've had many close calls by myself, Its a bugger at times. Glad to hear everyone came out of it ok though, thats what matters!
Old 06-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Hard to stay awake when you are the only person awake and dead tired. You should be aware of the warning signs that you are that tired and pull over for awhile. Better to get home later than not at all. Stopping and splashing water on the face, run around the vehicle, that can work for a little while. Having something to munch on, Sunflower seeds do work great. Pluck a few nose hairs, if you got them, every few minutes will wake you up also. I am not sold on the energy shots ect... but hot coffee does work, as does the horribly unheatlthy cigarette. Music seems to do more to put you to sleep, if you have sattlelite radio I do better listening to a news channel that keeps the mind working. Sticking your head out the window after splashing on some water helps. Only real cure though is to get some sleep.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would be dead tired driving 25 hours. Im sure they had plenty of stuff to munch on but im not really sure what would have been the best thing to do for them. 3 60-70 year old guys...2 sleeping 1 driving...

im just glad they got through it alright.