Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

game on !!!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default game on !!!!!

I worked my butt off last weekend hauling in 1000 lbs of bait, here it is, a mountain of peanut butter powerbars!!!! 10 gallons of vanilla, 10 gals of caramel, 50 lbs of dogfood, 20 gals of kitchen grease, and 300 rotten fish bodies drenched in 2 bottles of liquid smoke..... I am set up to draw from 2 different canyons.........Let the games begin!!! I still cannot get to my site as 4 feet of snow is keeping me out. I contacted another guy who was kind enough to welcome me in close to his site for this year!!!! Come on monday!!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: game on !!!!!

If there is a bear, that should catch their attention!
Jake
Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

From the looks of your setup, luck won't be anthing you need, but good luck anyway!!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I was all set to go find your bait pile right up to the dog food and fish part...
Old 05-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Your bears eat better than me. Did you set up a game camera to see what comes to visit? We caught videos of fishers, bears, and coyotes last year. Here is a Sow and cubs from my friends bait.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't set a camera for a few years. I got elk, turkey and coyotes eating dougnuts when I did.

I have been doing video the last couple of years. I got a mulie buck on tape that was chowing down power bars. His rack was HUGE with all the protein.... I laugh like heck every time I watch it, the buck gets the carmel stuck in his teath and frantically licks his lips and nose when they get coated...

Baiting bearsis alot of fun.........You never know what to expect.....
Old 05-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Have you ever tried putting a burner under a small can with honey in it? I saw something onetime where guys did this and quite a few bears came in(Not sure if it was the honey smell or the magic of TV).
Old 05-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago I tried honey burns. Cameron Hanes does a bear crack mixture. The way I set a bait, the stink brings em in and the grease gets on their feet causing a wagon wheel effect of scent trails leading to the bait. I use such a big pile as I want it to last 12 days before I hunt. I stay totally out and let the bears come and go as they please. They will establish a pecking order and will force the smaller and weaker bears to feed earlier in the day. I have had bears come in at 2:00 in the afternoon.

I hunted 2 nights last year and shot the 8th bear that came in.

I like to dig a hole and fill it with grease. If they eat the bait the hole will keep them coming back for days looking for the food that they can smell... They will even start eating the dirt!!!! Here is the bear that I killed last year using this method.....

Old 05-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like it works for you guys. Good luck and keep us posted.
Bear season isn't until Sept. here in MA... no baiting allowed...
Old 05-16-2008, 08:31 AM

It's hard to believe all the work we put into our sport.Goodluck to ya.

Quick Reply: game on !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.