Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive >

Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive

Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive

There is an area here that is loaded with griz. Thing about it is, its loaded with game too. An easy hunt loaded with game but I won't hunt it because most of the game shot is lost to a bear or you better have a partner on guard while field dressing. The shot of a rifle is a dinner bell. Dam bears figure it out when there's a shot, there is food. Common sense needs to be applied here when hunting. Somethings just ain't worth it.
I pack a 357 and bear spray and my weapon of choice is bear spray. Even a bear fatally shot can kill you. You really,really,really have to be aware of your surroundings but then again, sometimes you come across a winter runoff where you can't hear, and a thicket where you can't see 3ft, this is when your a-hole is duck tight and all of a sudden a grouse flies out from under your feet.

Bobby
Old 05-17-2008, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I wouldn't worry about Grizzly even though an outfitter was mauled by one years ago. I would worry about the big *****cats that follow us around. Nice compact semi-auto in .40 or 45 will do wonders for the things that go bump in the dark.
Yeah...cats are something to worry about....44mag, been followed here in California a couple of times...but in this state we can't shoot them...self defense would be OK but you had better be able to prove it.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

In hunting, as in all things, common sense should prevail.

Is there any real reason to be concerned about a grizzly bear attack in Colorado? No

Should you be aware of black bears in Colorado and take appropriate precautions? Of course.

Several hundred thousand people hunted and fished in Colorado last year. If I recall correctly, there was only one human attack last year in Colorado, many years there are none. I believe that the attack was on a nonhunter. How many hundreds of thousands of nonhunters, hikers, etc roam the Colorado woods each year? Not sure, but it is more than the number of hunters.

So, to answer your original question: Yes, you should take prudent bear precautions (have some sort of protection such as pepper spray, sidearm, etc) if it makes you feel more secure. And yes, you should store food in a non-bear accessable place other than your tent.

However, I don't live my life in fear. Who here is going to cancel your hunting trip because you are scared of the drive to Colorado? I guarantee you that the drive there and back is more dangerous than a possible bear attack. That is a fact.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:02 PM

Is there any real data that supports actual grizzly kills or attacts during another hunting expeditions? It seems to me that there is a bit of paranoia when hunting ingrizz county. In my lifetime I have heard of only two grizz sightings while hunting. Once in MT and the other in WY.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:57 AM
Fork Horn

Direct from the Colorado Division of Wildlife... http://wildlife.state.co.us/WildlifeSpecies/SpeciesOfConcern/Mammals/GrizzlyBear.htm
Old 05-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Of course, as long as you have a 243 or a 6 mm, you should be fine.....................
Old 05-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very few grizzly left in the lower 48. However it never hurts to be prepared for them or other unfriendly critter out there. If it's legal I would carry a 44 or 41 Mag handgun. I see that you are pretty new here, most of the times other members here are not a rude and know it all as a few that responded here. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

The fact that a newer member does not know if there are grizzly in the western states does not mean that he doesnt know a elk from a moose. Very rude indeed.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck James, lighten up, we got to break the new meat in and toughen em up, if they can't survive a little trash talkin here and have fun with it they sure as heck are going to need to be holding there momma's hand when they come out here hunting.

Bobby
Old 05-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

As long as youre not hunting Independence Pass area or the Weminuche I wouldnt worry. You sound sceered. WheneverI get sceered I just hug my Super Blackhawk and all those sceery feelins just go away. You might wanna consider that your elk rifle justmight kill the occasional errant Colo grizzly. Good luck on your grizzly hunt.