Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive >

Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive

Old 05-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Spike

Default Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive

I am going to Colorado for public elk hunt with the bowfor a week. My main concern is bear. Gizzley bear to be exact. I know nothing about these animals. Are they populated in CO? What are the chances of encountering one? is there information or links someone could provide so that I can read up and know what i am getting into. Should i bring a side arm? (even though it would problably just piss the thing off evenmore) Thanks for any information provided.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:01 AM

Default RE: Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive

Grizzly in Colorado? Man the heck you been smokin!?! We may get a few once in a Great while that travel out of state but there hasnt been a sighting report in a long while.

You sure you know exactly what an elk looks like? We dont need any more you out of state hunters shooting our moose!

Better double check and see what state you are actually hunting that have these grizzly bears.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Grizzly in Colorado? Man the heck you been smokin!?! We may get a few once in a Great while that travel out of state but there hasnt been a sighting report in a long while.

You sure you know exactly what an elk looks like? We dont need any more you out of state hunters shooting our moose!

Better double check and see what state you are actually hunting that have these grizzly bears.
That is just down out and funny.

Bobby
Old 05-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Good question Non Typ and FG be nice. No griz's in Colorado but you can expect to see some very large black bears some of which might be cinnamon in color. They will usually run when they see or smell you but caution must be used if you are camping. Any wilderness camping trip should be using bear proof methods with food and garbage.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

I sure wouldn't be caught in the mountains with just a sharp stick. I always carry my wheelgun on my hip...even if I'm just scoutin.

Brett
Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 AM

If you really are worried go out and get yourself a pistol. I have a .357 mag and i chamber a 220 grain bear round. .357 might even be a little small, get a .44 mag or the Ruger Alaskan. But i think you will be fine without one as almost all bears in CO are black bears.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't worry about Grizzly even though an outfitter was mauled by one years ago. I would worry about the big *****cats that follow us around. Nice compact semi-auto in .40 or 45 will do wonders for the things that go bump in the dark.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Better to have a side arm than not. Just be carefull about concealed weapon laws and hunting regs, check if it is legal to be packing while bow hunting, and proper transporting of the side arm (state bulls in some areas lock you up first and sort it out latter when you have a loaded gun in reach). I am usually more worried about stumbling on Joe blows Meth or Pot operation than being attacked by a four legged predator. I do prefer to be on top of the food chain, and without a fire arm man is about 4 links down the chain in this neck of the woods.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last confirmed grizzly bear sighting in CO was 40 years ago.....its dead. Your biggest fears of big game hunting in CO should come from two sources.
1. your fellow humans are far more dangerous than any bears we have (we only have black bears here).

2. getting lost...most hunters that have problems here start by getting lost

My neighbors dog is more dangerous than all the bears and cats you could find in the state.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

there's been rumors/sightings of griz in CO, I think up north near the border, though I think no documented cases, though they seem to be migrating, so there may be 1 or 2 in CO, really wouldn't worry, but get some pepper spray if you are, think it works on black bears too/other animals. More effect than a sidearm, but have either if you're uncomfy.

Quick Reply: Grizzly bear? Elk hunt in CO.. Help keep me alive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.