Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Only big gamer?? No deer?? >

Only big gamer?? No deer??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Only big gamer?? No deer??

Old 02-22-2003, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Only big gamer?? No deer??

I' m the kind of hunter that hunts everything available (either in my state, or in time and money) so I' m really just a hunter, not a deer hunter or a winghunter or a varminter. I' m sure most of us are like that here, just curious as to how many of yall DO NOT hunt a deer species?? There' s at least one species of deer in most states, how many of yall are so dedicated to your big game that you don' t take time to harvest one every year??
Old 02-22-2003, 10:17 AM

Default RE: Only big gamer?? No deer??

I used to hunt blacktail and mule deer a lot.

I guess you could call me a " dormant deer hunter" these days. Time in the fall has been short the past few seasons and I have chosen to pursue elk as my main game. Try to get out during all 3 seasons (bow/mod rifle/muzzle) for elk, though here I can only hunt one. Throw in a few birds on the side.

BK
Old 02-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt elk as my main big game. And will always hunt them over any other animal in Colorado. I will, at the drop of a hat however, hunt mulies, pronghorn and any other game that I can, provided I have the funds and / or the time. One week of hunting is just way too short so I' ll try to hunt everything I can so I am able to be out in the woods as long as I can and to fill the freezer with as much good meat as possible.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:04 PM

I grew up hunting deer and smalll game , but after my first buglin' elk hunt, I bumped them way up on the priorty list. I still hunt the little mulies here in California, but it' s mostly just ot get out and enjoy the time with good friends in the woods. In ten years hunting in CA I' ve onlty taken 2 deer. I don' t typically shoot spikes or small forkeys, so I usually come home empty handed. I also hunt each year with my dad in upstate NY. We typically hunt bucks in upsate and then my Dad draws a doe tag edown state to get some meat. For me, by far, the most enjoyable time I can spend is in elk camp with couple of good buddies. In the past couple years I have become financially able to hunt out of state and I try to get a tag each year. There is no equal in my mind to hunting elk.

Don' t get me wrong...I' l hunt anytime anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2003, 10:29 PM

Deer are a fine place to start. Not to hard to put the hunt on. Too curious for their own good. Kill pretty easy so you can hunt them with " just about" anything.

Since I am a meat hunter, having tasted elk puts deer out of the picture -- no comparison -- no interest. Wouldn' t shoot a deer if he walked into camp, turned broadside, and begged.

EKM
Old 02-23-2003, 10:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-24-2003, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' d like to be able to hunt deer more often, but don' t get that many opportunities. I think Robert Scott and Don K. realized that after our hunt this fall. Even seeing doe mule deer would get me all jazzed up.

I still have yet to see a whitetail deer.

Most of my focus is on caribou, second on moose, then I try for elk and bear as much as I can.

Gotta have a mixed bag. I' ve gone on trips for bunny' s, fox, ptarmigan, waterfowl. If it' s in season, it' s in trouble!
Old 02-25-2003, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

I grew up deer hunting. Used to love it until I went on my first elk hunt at 17 and I' ve been hooked on elk ever since. The taste of elk meat is unbeatable and so is the experience. I still go on the deer hunt almost every year but I don' t take it near as serious and I have a higher success rate with elk than deer. Last year I shot a deer and gave it to my hunting partner, I never did fill my tag.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:38 PM

I usually elk hunt and if a deer gets in my way I' ll kill it to. I will hunt for anything I just love being out there with a couple good friends but my favorite with out question would be ELK!!!!! Birds, bunnys, predetors are all fun!
BowElkDwn
Old 02-25-2003, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

My wife & I don' t like the taste of mulies. But Elk now that' s some good eating. So I have not even bought a deer tag in the 10 or 12 years. I spend my time chasing elk, and to be honest I' ver shot a pretty good bull a couple of years ago. So now I probably tag a nice dry cow.

Now, I do go back to Mississippi to hunt whitetails----more for camaraderie than a buck. I pass on all the basket rack bucks, looking for a good one !!