Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wild Boars....any suggestions??? >

Wild Boars....any suggestions???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wild Boars....any suggestions???

Old 02-16-2003, 10:13 PM
XTP

Default Wild Boars....any suggestions???

After several months of searching,I have finally found a lead on where to find them in Manitoba and will be going this weekend(weather permitting).Anyone have any suggestions regarding anything I should know ahead of time?? Any help would be greatly appreceiated.I have spent years hunting deer and other animals but this is my first boar hunt.Thanks....
Old 02-17-2003, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wild Boars....any suggestions???

What style of hunt is it. Dogs?
Old 02-17-2003, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

You don' t need to know much about hogs.I tried this type of hunt years ago and while it was fun it was fairly easy.I would not do it with a rifle as it would be far too easy.The bow made it at least a little challenging.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:32 AM

i do not know who told you that hunting hogs is easy.hogs are much smarter than most of the other animals you will hunt. their eyesight is extremely poor but they have an extremely good sense of smell.hogs will also charge you at times and are very dangerous.most shots to hogs are behind the ear due to the thickness of the shoulder plating. most use high caliber rifles over bows. yes, bows will work but it takes a very good shot.hog hunting is dangerous enough without misinformation.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dep214-If you read the initial post you would have seen that this is a boar hunt in manitoba.As far as I know,there are no free ranging wild boar in manitoba so I am assuming that this is a fenced hunt not a true hunt in the wild.While a hunt for wild boar in their natural surroundings may present a real challenge ,fenced hunts are relatively easy.I have been on one of these hunts myself and know people that run such a boar hunting operation in alberta.Hunts are one or two day affairs that are always successful and even most of the owners of these preserves encourage bow hunting to make it more of a hunt.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:26 PM
XTP

stubblejumper: These ARE free range boars! Manitoba has had wild boar for several years now,ever since several boar farms went under and their stock was released to the wild.These are true wild boar,not feral hogs or tame farm animals.Since there are no predators here that would really want to engage in a fight with a boar,population numbers have skyrocketed.DNR has now declared " open season" on them and we can hunt them 365 days a year and without a license.There have already been reports of them harassing area livestock,pets and people.
This hunt will be unguided,without dogs and on public land.I will be using a .270 winchester as this is my deer rifle and I am extremely confident with it.

dep: thanx for the info.Would a head shot not be risky on one of these tough critters??....also I would like to get a mount done and this would probably ruin that.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:55 PM

the head shot is a risky one. darn things are so hard. you might be able to have a mount repaired if shot in the head. if shot behind the ear it will drop them in their tracks. always chamber another round and be ready if a second shot is needed. go to web site oversize outfitters and you can see the hog i shot.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi XTP. Don' t let anyone fool you, hunting wild hogs is just as challengeing as hunting deer. I have shot at least 50 hogs in cental and in north Fla. and that is with a Bow, I have even stalked up on some nice ones and grabbed them by the hind leggs and rolled them and captured them live with the use of no dogs, I even got pictures of this, but if your hunting wild feral hogs, they are very smart, and when their nose is in the ground rooting around, thats when you want to move, when that hogs head comes up and then listens, you better freeze, and you absolutely have to pay attention to wind direction. I think their is too much hipe that hogs attack, I personally have had none charge me, even when I' ve caught pigletts just a squealing. The only problem I had is when I stuck a yorkshire hog ( Red) In colour through the chest with a 125 thunderhead, the hog just stood there swaying back in forth as if it was drunk, I laid my bow down and and went to slice its throat, as I grabbed the left ear, the hogs tuskers hooked me in the big finger on the left hand as I grabbed its ear. It just stayed there swaying and then fell over after a moment. The biggest hog I got is on the wall, a 225 piney wood rooter taken in the panhandle of Fla., stalking with a Blackwidow T.D.
When hunting large hogs with a bow, you got to quarter a shot into the vitals because of the tuff grizzle protecting the shoulder, large hogs will rubb up against trees to caluis their shoulder area, thus resulting in little penetration. if your gun hunting, you can shoot right through it. Good luck and keep us posted, Bobby
Old 02-17-2003, 08:09 PM

Make sure you select the right type of bullet...this is very important. You do not want a ballistic type point or a soft-point, fast expanding bullet. Bullet selection is the #1 reason why you hear all those stories about the boar that got shot with a 300 magnum and was never found. Poor shot placement and bullet selection is the reason boars are never found. Do not aim a few inches behind the shoulder like you would a deer or you' ll end up with a gut shot animal. A boars vitals are typically low and forward on the animal. According to TexasBoars.com the #1 shot is a neck shot between the front shoulder and ear. The #2 shot is directly into the shoulder(just follow the front leg straight up and aim about a 1/3 to 1/2 way up the animal. Even though they have a thick " shield" a well constructed bullet will penetrate it into the vitals.

Here are my bullet selection: Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Nosler Partition, Barnes X Bullet and Swift A-Frame. If you must use a ballistic point type bullet, make sure it is a bonded bullet such as the new Hornady Interbond or the Swift Scirroco. I' m going on a hunt in March and I' m using a 270 as well. I' m using the Federal High Energy 140 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Good Luck!
Old 02-17-2003, 08:28 PM

i used the winchester ballistic silvertip and have never had any problems. i placed all my shots behind the ear. many of the hunters i have been around use the ballistic tips also. what probs have you incountered?

Quick Reply: Wild Boars....any suggestions???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.