HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Wild Boars....any suggestions??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/23933-wild-boars-any-suggestions.html)

CalHunter 02-19-2003 12:51 PM

RE: Wild Boars....any suggestions???

XTP, I went boar hunting with some buddies on a guided hunt using dogs on a central Ca ranch a couple years ago. I used a 270 Win with 150 grn softpoints. My first shot on a 270# boar was in between several dogs that had cornered the boar at about 30 yards. I had a lot of difficulty using the scope because it was such short range and the boar was snapping and charging at the dogs. My shot grazed his cheek and penetrated the neck between his head and shoulder. The boar ran past me with the dogs in hot pursuit. I got a brief shot window (1/2 second) and shot the boar behind his ear while looking over my scope. The boar tumbled down into a creekbed and was still alive enough to bite one of the dogs in his hind leg. My buddy used a 30-30 Win with 170 grn softpoints and dropped his 275# boar with one shot to the head while facing him. A third buddy killed a sow trapped in a narrow creekbed with his knife. There is no way I' d want to take on a boar with just a knife, LOL.

We recovered 1 of my bullets in the boar' s heart and the other was in his head. Those animals can be very tough to bring down. The boars we got were black and had a lot of the Russian strain in them. I don' t know if they would have charged us or not since the dogs were keeping them pretty busy. I imagine a boar would charge if he thought you had him cornered. I know those tusks are razor sharp and would do a lot of damage if they got a hold of you.

After the hunt, we figured a 30-30 with iron sights was just the ticket for these close range hunts (all shots were under 50 yards). I found the scope on the 270 was hard to use at such close range and especially with the boar moving around. If I were to use the 270 again, I' d use some kind of trophy bonded type bullet designed for penetration and some kind of iron sights. Somebody else mentioned a 45-70. IMHO, that would be the perfect brush gun for hunting boar. Hope this helps in your hunting plans. If you have any q' s on what I learned, feel free to email me.

Bloodnativ 02-19-2003 04:54 PM

I agree with most of what has been said. I do a LOT of hog hunting here in Florida and also some in Texas. If you have another gun take it. The 45-70 is without a doubt the perfect hog gun (the 30-30 follows a close second) especially when using iron sights or a good peep sight. I prefer peeps since my eyes aren' t as good as they used to be. Since you are not using dogs you will be a LITTLE more able to pick your shot. If you must use your 270 then set the scope (assuming it is adjustable) on the lowest setting. If you' ve never hunted hogs you' re in for a treat. It is the most exciting hunting I have ever done. Hope all this helps. Good luck! Let us know how you do.

XTP 02-19-2003 05:55 PM

Thanks alot guys...I really appreciate all the info. My weapon selection in somewhat limited...my .270,a .303 British,.50 cal ML,or 12 guage.Since I don' t know how many boars are in the area,just that they are there,I won' t be buying another rifle just yet.I will probably bring the shotgun w/slugs as a backup or swamp gun(the Black cedar swamps are THICK...20 yards is a long shot).The .303 is without a scope right now,and the ML needs to be sighted in again.I still feel the best with the .270 and a shot to the base of the skull/neck area.

The weather forecast is not promising however,temps are going to start dropping tommorrow with more snow coming as well.I will let you guys know what happens though......and thanks again!!

P.S.....rumor has it these boars are in the 300-400 lb range.The guy I talked to said one he saw filled the bed of a pickup truck from corner to corner.

OKbowhunter 02-19-2003 08:27 PM

I' ll give you a yell in a month or two concerning the Texas hunt.

XTP,
Good luck on your hunt, you' ll have a blast.

trailer 02-20-2003 05:10 AM

I have been following your topic on wild boars hunting and I' m very interested in hunting wild boar this spring. I hope you lets use know how you did.:D

XTP 02-23-2003 05:46 PM

Only had a couple hours to get out today,but went anyway! didn' t find any boars but the area looks perfect,a mix of dense swamps and more open forest cut with trails.Will have to go back with the quad and go in deeper next time.several spots in the snow were dug up pretty good but had been snowed over so I couldn' t see the tracks to confirm if it was from boar or maybe deer.Will keep you posted next time.......

sr.corndog 02-27-2003 08:32 PM

I hunt wild Hogs in Georgia have several mounted and hanging in my classroom at school. Gun of choice is a 30-06 aim behind the ears. Stop the head stop the body the shield behind the head is usally a couple inches thick. You will see when you skin them out. First I pressure wash my hog to clean the mud or swamp funk! Then I have several SHARP knifes handy. keep your hog washed clean no hair on the meat and allow it to hang all night in a cool place to allow the blood to drain. Quarter and eat and enjoy!
As for hunting find wallers or rubs look for stools like bull pellits they are like a dog they follow a trail. Best time to kill late afternoon at dust a bag of cracked corn a couple days in advance. I prefer a rainy day as soon as it stops raining here they come out.
happy hunting! Oh for a rush use a knife it is more fun and you had better have a big set of BALLS and a couple bad dogs. currs or pits