Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Help!!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:42 AM

Default Bear Help!!

We areheaded to Saskatchewan Canada this coming May for a spring bear hunt.I was wondering how many people send their clothing and stuff ahead of them to the outfitters? We are going to Fed-Ex all of our gear and clothing a few weeks prior to the hunt, that way we only have our rifle and a carry-on bag thru the airport. I was just wondering if most people do this. With this day in age, I think it would be wiser and less hassle going thru the airport this way with less baggage to have to worry about.

We have our Canadian Declaration Form filled out and Passport ready to go. I ordered an extraFrogg Toggs suit to take with me since it has been known to rain alot this time of year andthe temps are in the 50's. We have our Thermacell and White Parka, canadian law changed this year requiring gun hunters to wear white parka instead of complete white suit. Ive got my rubber Lacrosse boots and my Ruger MKII SS 338 Win Mag.

Does anyone know of anything else that I need to remember for this hunt. I have not flown in years and I have never took a hunting trip where I had to bring my rifle on an airplane.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear Help!!

how much gear are you bringing, jeez? I've not really heard of this before. I've heard of bags being left etc...cause of weight, but if everyone packs fairly, it should not be a problem. Do whatever though.

going after black bear? will browns be around? are you going to be on stand over bait, if so .338 is pretty big. If spot n stalk and griz around then sounds about right.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:24 AM

how much gear are you bringing, jeez? I've not really heard of this before. I've heard of bags being left etc...cause of weight, but if everyone packs fairly, it should not be a problem. Do whatever though.

going after black bear? will browns be around? are you going to be on stand over bait, if so .338 is pretty big. If spot n stalk and griz around then sounds about right.

Its not the fact that we are taking a bunch of luggage or anything. Its our first time leaving the USA to hunt and we want to make it as smooth as possible. We figured if we each sent a box with our clothing and stuff to the outfitter FedEx a few weeks prior to the hunt, it would make it alot easier on us thru the airport. I actually heard ofmailing luggage ahead of timefrom watching the OutDoor Channel. The only thing we will will have to carry in the airport is our rifle, passport, ticket, declaration form and not have to worry about packing around a bunch of bags, luggage and carts and worry if our gear will get lost in transit and not make it for our hunt.

As far as the .338 goes, I use this for my deer hunting. I do custom 185 grain loads which works excellent on deer. I should have no problem with bear either. The .338 is an underrated cartridge, its not like I am shooting a 250 gr bullet or anything. I have harvest many bucks with this gun and I am confident in its ability to make the shot when it counts.

The area that we are hunting is known for its color phased bear and should have an opportunity at a Blonde or Cinnimon. I have personally called Ralph Cianciarulo (Archers Choice) and Russ Thornberry (editor Buckmasters) about this Outfitter since they have both used them in the passed and highly recommend them.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

what outfitter are you using i was planning going on a bear hunt myself well make sure you let me know how it goes when you get back

thanks
Sutton
Old 03-27-2008, 06:17 AM

We are going to Larson Lake Outfitters
Old 03-28-2008, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

A Thermacell!! Best 30 bucks I ever spent.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:39 AM

A Thermacell!! Best 30 bucks I ever spent.

I got one of those too that I am shipping to the outfitter with all my clothing and gear.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

did you call other references? personally I'm skeptical of anyone on tv who makes a living at this.....hell give me a free hunt where I shoot a bear and I'll reccomend them! Not badmouthing them or anyone else, just in the future I plan to call all possible references, also kinda think you get what you pay for with hunting.

Guys love those color phases huh? I'm not opposed to a color phase, but I'm more into a big black bear.....id pass a young blonde or cinnamon for a big black bear. I think a blonde griz would be cool, though theyre already brownish to begin with so the color phases arent as different from normal IMO.

I'm not sure I'd send my clothing ahead of time personally, if it's only a minor cost I'd consider it, but I really just don't see the need.....I mean bringing 2 bags and a gun? plus if you get a gun case that has wheels you just throw your luggage on top of that and wheel it around the airport, no sweat.

but good luck, get one! or two! Will it be out of stands over bait? dogs? spot n stalk? assuming bait,
Old 03-31-2008, 02:16 AM

I'm not sure I'd send my clothing ahead of time personally, if it's only a minor cost I'd consider it, but I really just don't see the need.....I mean bringing 2 bags and a gun? plus if you get a gun case that has wheels you just throw your luggage on top of that and wheel it around the airport, no sweat.
My gun case does not have wheels on it. The cost is under $100 to send our gear up ahead of time and I have pretty much made up my mind about it.

Thanks for the replies
Old 05-29-2008, 04:43 AM

Well, I connected on a big Sow. This bear was the biggest taken so far at Larson Lake Outfitters in Spiritwood Saskatchewan.