Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Mexico

Old 02-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Banned

Default New Mexico

I am getting ready to apply for tags on line as soon as my 90 day residency requirement is up in a week and so many choices of species I am a little overwhelmed as what to apply for and where; so any advice would be appreciated.I came from IA and there were two choices; deer and turkey. I now have elk, oryx, ibex, 3 species of deer, bighorn sheep, barbary sheep, antelope, bear, cougar, and javelina. The damn weather is perfect, no coat weather everyday, the sun always shines, it is a cheap cost of living, and the economy is strong here. The state has 9 million acres of National Park land and 13 million acres of BLM land, all of which most of it can be hunted. I am waiting for something to happen as this is too much like paradise.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Mexico

May consider subscribing to the hunting fool, $100 bucks a year, will tell you all this and more.

NM elk......3 spots, the Gila, then south unit 34 I think, and a unit up north has big elk, though the Gila is where all the monsters in NM mostly come from. Horrible odds though in the Gila. Like anything, hard to draw the good areas, so maybe put int for the great areas this year and hopefully learn some local spots for years to follow wher eyou can draw a tag more easily. Also NM doesnt have pref pts, so a guy who has applied for 20years has the same odds as a guy who has just begun this year. So you may want to build pts in another state, may get a chance to hunt another state sooner than you will your home state! many guys apply everywhere and hope they get lucky somewhere!

Antelope, I think all of NM has monsterous antelope.

Muley's Rio Arriba co is #1 in the nation! though the draw odds are horrible, and maybe even worse for residents im not sure. the later hunt is when you want to hunt there, though you can draw different seasons/tags there easier, you wounld'nt want them, big deer migrate there later in the year. The rest of the state I dont think really has monster muleys, but some good muleys elsewhere in the state, just nothing great ya know.

What else? not sure, good luck.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

hardcorehunter: Go to Charlie's Sporting Goods around Menaul & Moon they will give you a good idea of where to go. E-mail me at [email protected], and I will try to help you, but go to Charlie's to start off. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:35 PM

I don't know much about NM, but from your description, don't be suprized ifwe're neighbors some day
Old 02-24-2008, 07:06 AM
car
Typical Buck

Wow 90 days. In Wyoming you have to wait 1 whole year.
car
Old 02-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know the laws change from state to state...90 days resident, 1 year.....though if you're really planning on making a state your home.....ie for more than one year, ideally quite a few years, and have a resident driver's license, I consider just applying as a resident, esp if I filed taxes already etc....paid some utility bills or something, plead ignorance or something, haha. Though you can still apply as a non-res, what's 1 year going to hurt? sometimes poorer draw odds, occasionally better! either way you're still in the draw/lottery and have a chance.

Cost of living's expensive, but it's worth it, and you can't take it with you!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Banned

Thanks, it is very beautiful here indeed. I have until April 9th to apply for my tags but must wait one more week before I apply to meet my 90 day residency requirements. The state says I must be here 90 days before I apply even though the deadline for apps is way into my 90 day requirements.So many decisions on what big game species to hunt and where I want to go. I have been researching and will be doing a lot more this week before I apply. I plan on getting quite a bit of use out of my walltent. 80% of the tags go to residents. I appreciate the info. Here are some pics from the weekend.

The snowy pics were 1 1/2 hours NW of Albuquerque at approx 9000 ft.

These pics are at 5200 ft where we live and it was 60 degrees out. The scenery is so diverse in NM. Every 10 minutes on the highway and the scenery changes dramatically.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:37 AM

Hey were in NM do you live? I live by Grants, Welcome to NM!!
Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Banned

Rio Rancho; how far are you away?
Old 02-26-2008, 01:05 PM

Grants is about 1 hour west of you, on I-40

Quick Reply: New Mexico

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.