Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Plan to complete the grand slam? any slams? >

Plan to complete the grand slam? any slams?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Plan to complete the grand slam? any slams?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Plan to complete the grand slam? any slams?

only time I see africa/water holes is for bow hunting, which is pretty typical way of hunting many western US species.....

I love to bowhunt, but I really want to gun hunt africa. I don't want to sit on a water hole with a bow, plus to me african just has this sense about it touch to the past wit ha big bore rifle, dangerous game all around you. May be life/death.

Big billy/dall? I think there are quite a few non wilderness units you can hunt without a guide for those. Least goats in the lower 48 is possible to hunt w/o a guide I'm quite certain. If you really need a guide in a respective state, find a buddy who lives there to pay the $10 or whatever and have him tag along. If you can.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: ironranger

I want to "Slam" an arrow or bullet into a Wyoming elk this fall and maybe a CO elk as well. Other than that, just enjoying every moment I spend in the woods!! Not that there is anything wrong with having that type of goal in mind but just not something I really wanted...
If you get 2 elk in 2 states, I wanna hear YOUR story!!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Ihave taken both Dalls and Stones, my Bro in Alberta has taken Bighorns.
My goal is to take a California Bighorn before he takes a Dall.
We've both taken whitetails, mule deer, blackbear, moose, and elk
I have taken grizzly and caribou, wolves
He's taken antelope
I think I'll try for a goat next and he should concentrate on a couger.
This makes for a pretty nice combined trophy room.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't care about any of the so called "slams".I would rather just enjoy hunting instead of worrying if I were going to kill the next animal on some made up list.

And some animalsI just don't care about hunitng. Walrus for instance.

Orthe turkey slam. To me a turkey is a turkey to some the different species are as different as night and day.

Or Tule elk. I would much rather be hunting Rocky Mt. (American) elk.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hear ya bigbulls, I think I want to hunt most of the animals, and tastes may change over time.....but there are a few I could kinda care less to hunt right now. Maybe after I've taken others I'll take up those other ones/ or want to.

I just went on my first real elk hunt last year, archery, new mexico, (have hunted 2 other times with little action)I think I may be addicted, so far elk seem to be one of those species I could hunt annually and not get bored. Personally I think I'd like to hunt a tule, roosevelt, rck mtn. I have some of my own slams too I hope to complete, I want to take an antelope from each of the great regions......wyoming region, NW Nevada/SE oregon, and NM/Arizona. I kinda think it would be cool to take an elk from each state......even though 1 animal cant represent an entire states elk population I think it would be cool down the road to look up at the wall and see that wide one from wyoming.......that huge one from arizona....new mexico.

Turkey's I do want to do the slam of, or at least most of them. I hunt the easterns, while pretty in their own right, I love the white tipped feathers of some of the others, I really want to get a merriam's and a rio in the near future, then maybe a goulds or the florida one, not sure about the yucatan one not sure about flying down there to hunt that bird in the jungle....haha. that'll be later on the list if I do go after all of them.

I suspect many animals become addicting to hunt....whether its elk, turkey's, sheep, then there's always being addicted to hunting them all. I'd like to try for most of them, then focus on the ones I enjoyed hunting the most, never know til you try right?