Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Taking time off from work W/O pay to hunt... >

Taking time off from work W/O pay to hunt...

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Taking time off from work W/O pay to hunt...

Old 02-17-2008, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taking time off from work W/O pay to hunt...

I have 4 week off that can be taken any time during the year unless we are extremely busy and usually this happens when it’s not hunting season. I also can bank my O/T so time off without pay doesn’t happen too often. Unfortunately this may all change in the very near future...
Old 03-03-2008, 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: SILVERTIP-CO

I go hunting. If they wanna fire me so be it.
My thoughts exactly. I'm always out hunting.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:20 PM
car
Typical Buck

I'm self enployed also, plus I own a selfserve carwash. I don't get paid for the time I'm off and I have to pay someone to run the carwash while I'm gone hunting. It makes it hard for me but I do it anyway. car
Old 03-04-2008, 11:12 AM

1/2 vacation days, 1/2 no pay days, every year.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:49 AM

If you want to do a Mtn. Goat hunt, but not have to pay the fees for a mandatory guide/outfitter, I'd recommend that you check out the state of Colorado. The regsdo not require that a non-resident hire an outfitter and we have some really nice billies. I happen to live here and have taken two billies in my life. One of themeven qualifies in the top 15 for the B&C record book. If you're a non-resident, you'll probably have to apply for the license for several years, but its well worth it. A DYI hunt for Mtn. Goats in Colorado doesn't have to set you back a lifetime's savings. And, I must say that my hunts for them here have been fantastic! If you want to apply, I'd be happy to give you some of the information I used when I was successful. Just let me know.

Regards, & Good Huntin',
LlindeX
Old 03-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really wish I could take a week or two off unpaid and dedicate that towards hunting (I also get 3 weeks off)... When possible I like to try and work some long days and then 'flex' the time off on other days that week - allowing me to take an afternoon or morning or two off and hunt.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

I have done this alot. I my line of work in Our area the bosses or Owner think they own you . so you get one week vacation and you have to fight for that. When I am Hired I state that I hunt and it is my vacation and I take 1 to 3 weeks , but 3 weeks are rare. Most only will pay one week some do give 2 weeks paid vaction. I am Mr Blue Collar I work Hard for what I have. I do a Cost Analysis of my hunt and what I need to pay the bills down to the spending money and tips for the Guides.
I know how much it takes for a week to pay Bills this is added always and this makes everything coverd.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:33 PM

I used to take unpaid days until I had kids. Now I have to use my paid days and cut my trips back. Such is life. If I wanted to hunt all the time I should have stayed single.