Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Does anyone else apply for tags out west? >

Does anyone else apply for tags out west?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Does anyone else apply for tags out west?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Does anyone else apply for tags out west?

I haven't found much info/posts on here about guys that actively pursue drawing tags and hunting out west for big game. Does anyone else apply to western states for tags aside from their home state? If so I'm curious to hear how many else of you do this, and how many states/what species you're pursuing to draw tags for?

Do you have a dream tag/hunt you're applying for? Did you draw your dream tag and hunt/get your trophy?

I have a few dream tags I hope to draw.....

Montana Bighorn Sheep
Arizona, Nevada, UtahElk

Moose, not sure which state is my dream to hunt a shiras moose in yet....I'll figure it out by application deadline time....

Old 02-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Spike

Default RE: Does anyone else apply for tags out west?

I live in Utah, the drawing ended last Thursday, you can go to wildlife.utah.gov.. Another interesting site to find out your odds of drawing is hunterstrailhead.com good luck.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:38 AM
Fork Horn

I live in Arizona and I apply to as many states as I can afford for elk, deer and antelope...New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, and Idaho. I was thinking about applying for elk tags back east since some states are starting to get some respectable herds finally.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I apply back east in Montana for archery antelope.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

I drew a eastern montana antelope tag last year, no luck, there were some nice antelope on public land, but I think I should have been there opening weekend instead. Also blue tongue many were saying wiped out a good portion of them, I saw a few dead from it. I'd like to find some private land out there, seems everyone hunts private relatively easily. I lokoed a little into the trophy block management program, drove around/near some of those lands, wasn't too impressed, if you have any info about this part of MT, please pass it along. I was near Broadus.

I don't know too much about the eastern elk, know some big boys have been produced, not sure if any of those states allow non-residents to even apply? Maybe some do, and soon more will, I'm waiting for those KY elk to start establishing in southern IL. A few years back one was killed in IL.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its been a few years sense the last time I applied for an elk license, money issues! When I do apply for one its in Montana, in the Fort Peck area (way to many hunters) or in the Livingston Area. Livingston has some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Not applying but buying OTC for elk in Colorado. That way I can adjust my timeframe if need be. I will apply for a preference pt. this year for rifle elk in Colorado for a hunt in another year or two.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

I drew a eastern montana antelope tag last year, no luck, there were some nice antelope on public land, but I think I should have been there opening weekend instead. Also blue tongue many were saying wiped out a good portion of them, I saw a few dead from it. I'd like to find some private land out there, seems everyone hunts private relatively easily. I lokoed a little into the trophy block management program, drove around/near some of those lands, wasn't too impressed, if you have any info about this part of MT, please pass it along. I was near Broadus.

I don't know too much about the eastern elk, know some big boys have been produced, not sure if any of those states allow non-residents to even apply? Maybe some do, and soon more will, I'm waiting for those KY elk to start establishing in southern IL. A few years back one was killed in IL.
I took this goat last year in Eastern MT on that same hunt, We hunted late in the season.. We saw a fair amount, Only one that pushed in the upper 80's. I ended up shooting this one the third day after passing up more than I could count!!!!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

I've drawn NR tags. Last year was a WY moose. Couple years ago I drew a NM oryx tag on the White Sands. In my home state of Colorado----bighorn sheep, mtn goat------plus the usual antelope, elk, deer, cougar. Hope to draw another sheep &moose here.

Apply for those points---save em---eventuality it happens. Took me 8 years for the WY moose tag, 13 years for the Colorado mtn goat, 1st try on the NM oryx, 7 years for Colorado sheep.
Still trying for Colorado moose---20+ years. CB
Old 02-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

I'm gonna be applying out west for colorado elk rifle and maybe arizona elk rifle This is my first time to these states any ideas if i will reciveve tags or are these states hard to get?

Quick Reply: Does anyone else apply for tags out west?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.