Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Question

Old 01-11-2008, 11:24 PM

Default Elk Question

I don't hunk elk, but it's one of those things I have to do before I die.

I've heard that both bull and cow elks have racks. Am I completely wrong? If so, what, if any, other animals do?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk Question

Cow elk do not have antlers. Caribou both have antlers-----I've read that the cariboucow has antlers to defend her feeding spot in winter, the bulls have already shep theirs. Pronghorn antelope females sometimes have horns also, but they are only a couple inches.

Only 2 that I know of in NA, aside from the occasional freak doe deer.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:05 PM

Walker -- if you are a hunter at all you owe it to your self to take on an Elk hunt --one hunt and you'll be hooked for the rest of your life and thats a guarantee.I've hunted Elk here in British Columbia for 52 years and the passion never dies and wont until it's my turn in the barrel to check out from this earth.Nothing compares.I love my Whitetail and Mule deer hunting make no mistake about that but Elk hunting is my hunting life--- much to my wifes dismay.I/we hunt primarily with a bow in the early season here (Aug 28th to Sept 9th) and our success rate is reasonably good but the time in the field is premium.I've had the same crew for 30 years (Elk hunters stay together) and we are all of the same understanding in the persuit.I will say it again -- one Elk hunt and you'll be hooked for life.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went on a deer huntinNebraska's Northwestern panhandle near Chadron and Hay Springs, spot-and-stalk hunting, it was amazing, we even had a herd following three giant trophy Mule Deer, pretty much charging rightat us because they had made up their mind to run in our direction, just amazing stuff, and seeing a giant whitetail buck jump out from behind a pine tree, charging up the horizon, again, amazing stuff.
I can only imagine what en elk hunt in like after all thatI went through in Nebraska.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with pilot 100% make sure you do it soon so you have plenty of time to do it every year on out for the rest of your life,at least want to thats guaranteed.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:29 PM

def. gotta elk hunt. like everyone else said.. once you do it once, you will do it over and over again. its a rush. you don't really know how big they are until you walk up to one, and then the fun begins!!

And also to go with colorado bob, sheep have horns too. and i think goats might to? but im not sure. i only went on one goat hunt with my dad and every goat we saw had horns..
Old 01-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

I must agree, elk hunting is contageous. I went for my first time this last fall, I am hooked. Going again this fall.Researched for a couple years and went to colorado on diy hunt on national forest. Was blessed enough to take a nice 4x4. Not a monster but none the less rewarding. You MUST go if you can.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I went for my first time 2 years ago and then again last year. We did a DIY in Colorado and have scored both years. Nothing quite like an elk hunt. I only wished I tried it sooner.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

Wrong. Cow elk dont have antlers.

M and F antelope and bighorn sheep do.They have horns, not antlers.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Listen to them all GO at least once.