Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

predator calls

Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 AM

Default predator calls

I seem to have no luck with predator calls,I've been out for 2 days hunting coyotes(seen about 12 and 2 foxes)and can't seem to get any to come in.I have an eletronic call using the rabbit in distress call.I've even spot and stacked my way to about 400 yards and tried the calls and they don't even take a step in my direction.Even tried a predator call with black bears and have had 2 run away.Is there a trick this calling?Maybe I should be wating for -30 weather.

timba
Old 01-07-2008, 11:10 PM
usa
Fork Horn

Default RE: predator calls

couple of things come to mind, see if any of these fit. they either see you/hear you or smell you,or they see your vehicle, I can't imagine seeing that many yotes and not being able to kill some. Maybe your volume is too low and they can't hear you, are you using any kind of a decoy ? are you sure your wind is right always call into the wind but watch your downwind side, try using different calls on the same set-up until they notice you, they should be pairing up about now so try a challenge call before using the electronic call, I've had great luck with grey fox pup or coyote pup calls.for black bear use the bear cub in distress call.how long are your setups ? I generally call from each setup at least 30 min and then wait about 10 min quietly to see if anything is sneaking in after I stop calling. I've had them come in from 1/3 mile away so if you can see them then they've probably busted you already, are they barking and yipping from a long distance, if so then they are letting you know that they know something isn't right, I'd appreciate knowing how you make out, e-mail me at [email protected], Bill
Old 01-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Spike

Default RE: predator calls

Is there a possibility that other's have called these same areas before you. If someone else has beaten you to the area's those dogs could be educated from previous attempts by others.