Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 ENCORE BARREL & SCOPE FOR ELK? >

ENCORE BARREL & SCOPE FOR ELK?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ENCORE BARREL & SCOPE FOR ELK?

Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Spike

Default ENCORE BARREL & SCOPE FOR ELK?

I JUST GOT A T/C ENCORE PRO HUNTER WITH 50 CAL. BARREL AND A NIKON OMEGA SCOPE AND I LOVE IT. FOR MY NEXT BARREL WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST "LONG RANGE" CAL AND SCOPE COMBO FOR ELK.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ENCORE BARREL & SCOPE FOR ELK?

300 win. mag. I would say, or a .338 win. mag.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

I just bought a prohunter .308 and Nikon 5.5-16.5 for the very same reason. Yea I could have went with a mag like everyone else but there's a reason why they still use the .308 for the 1000yard shoots. Besides do you remember what the caliber of choice was before they came out with all of these high priced ammo. calibers? Not knocking anyone but I still consider the .308the perfect all around caliber for gamein North America, capable of taking anything we need if attention to shot placement is
Old 12-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

I bought an encore with a 223 barrel for varmits and figured it would be cool to have a heavier calibre. As light as the rifle is though I think the 308 would be a great choice. Before e-bay quit allowing barrels to be sold there was an ad for a 405 barrel on there. The add stated that it was shot only 4 times the last 3 shots were just to make sure they hurt as bad as the first. lol

hope you find what your looking for.
Rogue
Old 12-07-2007, 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: TC209x50

I just bought a prohunter .308 and Nikon 5.5-16.5 for the very same reason. Yea I could have went with a mag like everyone else but there's a reason why they still use the .308 for the 1000yard shoots. Besides do you remember what the caliber of choice was before they came out with all of these high priced ammo. calibers? Not knocking anyone but I still consider the .308the perfect all around caliber for gamein North America, capable of taking anything we need if attention to shot placement is
1000 yard shots with a .308? On elk? You sure that isn't a typo? Meant 100 yard shots. Don't get me wrong, I love the .308 . . . but come on . . .
I suggest the .300 WinMag because I DON'T put attention to "shot placement"! (lol) There is attention to shot placement even launching a wrist rocket!

.300 WM: Flat shooting, knockdown power even at distance, common round at the store, it is what I use for everything.
Top it with a Nikon Monarch 3-9 scope and you'd be in there for any large North American game. And I'd get a little closer than 1000 yards.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Fork Horn

game4 the thousand yard shoots that I believe they are talking about are a high power competition shoot. The 308 is a very popular calibre for this, in alot of instances alot of folks are rechambering the M-1 Garand from the 06 to the 308. Though I believe that 1000 yard shots are completely unethical on game animals, after watching the national matches at Camp Perry there is no doubt in my mind that an elk could be killed at that distance with propper bullet placement.

Rogue
Old 12-08-2007, 12:15 PM

I hadn't considered that. My appologies if I got a little rough.
Or where you are, is that Rouge? (lol) Medford Senior high grad of '68!

I guess, one ofthe most popular cal. for military snipers is the .308.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

300 or 338 would both be good choices.....or you could go between with the best of both???
.325 WSM? Flatter shooting than the .338 and with more umph than the .300.

If you are of sniper quality, and are willing to pass up the only opportunity you might get because of wind, obstructions etc., then following some others suggestions out to it's logical conclusion, you should get something like a .22-250? Head shoot them. All about bullet placement, is it not???

I too am a big fan of the Encore! In my group of hunting buddies we have accumulated, along with the ML, .204, .223, .25-06, 300 wm, and .325 WSM in rifle form and .204, 5.7x28mm,6.8mm SPC, and 7mm-08in the pistol setup. Nice barrels all.....and the same sweet trigger no matter the configuration.

Put you a Leupold onitand enjoy that Encore!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

game4 lol Crater grad 87 here.

I was kinda forced to do alot of high power shooting through high school there was no offense taken. Being that the encore rifle is so light I was thinking that a 308 could be loaded to an acceptable recoil level.

Since your avatar says Cheyoming I am going to assume that you now live in the land of monster mulies as opposed to these antlered blacktail hamsters we have here.lol

Rogue
Old 12-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Spike

Thank you all for replying and your opinions, sorry it took so long for me to join in but I was sent away for work.

I am a little surprized that the 7mm mag was not more popular. Friends in my hunting circle swear by it.

Quick Reply: ENCORE BARREL & SCOPE FOR ELK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.