Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

300 WSM and 300 Win. Mag

Old 12-16-2007, 11:25 AM

Default RE: 300 WSM and 300 Win. Mag

Ihave a 300 Win Mag with 180g bullets, for elk and mule deer, never had a problem, 180g bullets work great flat shooting recoils not bad and great range.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:55 PM

Default RE: 300 WSM and 300 Win. Mag

Like some of the others said, they are really pretty much equal unless you handload or want to use the really heavy bullets. Then the 300 WinMag pulls ahead. But for anything you can hunt with one, you can hunt with the other.180 gr bullets will work fine for anything in North America, sans the big bears. Factory 300 WSM loads with premium bulletsare becoming more and more common.

My friend has a 300 WSM and took it to Africa this year for plains game. He loved it. Using factory ammowith the Barnes 180gr Triple Shock, he said hisZebra, Kudo, and Oryx all dropped like rocks.

I handload the 300 WinMag and my elk load uses a 180 gr Barnes XBT. Extremely accurate and a real bone crusher. I am about out of what I have loaded so I think I will try the Triple Shock or maybe even the MRX next year.