Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Another "What Caliber" question... >

Another "What Caliber" question...

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Another "What Caliber" question...

Old 02-05-2003, 09:15 PM

Default RE: Another "What Caliber" question...

Anyone ever thought of the 444 Marlin? It doesnt have the reach of the cals that have been mentioned, but it packs a punch. My $.00002.

Why am I sittin here on this stupid PC when I could be huntin'
Old 02-06-2003, 01:04 PM

ELKampMaster, I appreciate your comments and agree with you. I thought you put your thoughts quite eloquently. People in the US do seem to "look down" on people who choose to shoot larger calibers/catridges even if they shoot them quite well. I think the 375 H&H is a great cartridge, perfect for big bears, cape buffalo, bison, elk, moose, and I don't think it is wrong to use it on deer if that is what you are comfortable with. I don't have one (a .375), I like .338s, but if I ever get to Africa it will be on my list of things to buy.

Old 02-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

338Shooter...don't think they look down on people that shoot the real big calibers. They are probably wondering why they chose that. Love the cartridge and it is a great African and Alaskan cartridge but there are better all around cartridges out there and the 338 win mag is one of them anything bigger(bore diameter) you might as well buy a 375 because the recoil penalty will be the same. Bear in mind that your walking around with 11-12 lbs slung around your shoulder because it is too damn heavy to carry in your hands where it belongs.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:56 PM

338Shooter,
What you've got is a great cartridge! That 338 ought to take care of you pretty well in Alaska especially if you are doing a one on one guided hunt where you'll have back up (for bears). For an Alaska trip, vertical gain hiked each day versus your condition versus the rifle weight is an issue to be dealt with. Like OldElkHunter said they tend to be a heavier rifle (I'll have to weigh mine just to see how much I "should" be suffering).

On the other hand, I understand about wanting to "gear up" for a special trip - in that case you'll find a 375HH "warm and cuddly" and of course it meets the African requirement for MINIMUM caliber for dangerous game. IF you pick one up, it is important to handle your "introduction" with some care (stock fit, eye relief, technique, and avoiding the bench rest for the first five shots)!

I'd have to say that the 338WinMag is actually a pretty gentle gun, easy on recoil but wicked on the opposite end - best of both worlds. 375HH has a "noticable" amount of additional recoil, ballistically it doesn't have all that much more energy, but in the field the additional "slap down" power it puts on game is "noticable".

Never Undergunned,
EKM

Good judgment comes from bad experience! Half of elk hunting is knowing what NOT to do!

Edited by - ELKampMaster on 02/06/2003 20:11:00
Old 02-09-2003, 07:09 PM

gforce, given that you are going to africa have you considered using a 416 rem mag since 375 holland and holland is not that big a step up from what you have?
Old 02-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was talking to a guide from B.C. about a moose and Bear hunt. I ask him about rifles and what he used as a backup when hunting in grizzly country. He told me that he carries the Remington Pump 30-06 loaded with 200 grain bullets. He claims that five very fast shots from this gun will stop a Bear faster that anything else he ever tried. He also recommended the same gun for moose. He claimed that a moose often takes two or three shot to down no matter what you hit them with. He says they are usually dead with the first shot but they don,t know it. A friend of mine shot a 60 inch bull moose in Alaska two years ago. The moose was walking slowly along a river bank. He shot the bull through the chest with his 300 win mag Sako and he said the moose continued to graze as he walked around a bend in the river bank. He followed the moose and found it dead about 100 yards down the bank. He said the moose showed no sighn whatsoever of being hit. Thus the guide thinks fast follow up is as important as the caliber providing a cartridge of ample power is being used. I agree completly. Having used one of these rifles a lot, nothing would make me feel safer in bear country

Old 02-10-2003, 01:56 PM

i personally would have gone with the .35whelan but the 375 H&H is a fine choice. and a very classic one too.

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 02-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you talking about the Remingtion 7600? I hear its a great pump-action rifle.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body"
Old 02-10-2003, 09:03 PM

JB-Guide said 5 rapid shots with a '06 was the best thing he had found for grizzly, what all has he tried? Talked to a few grizzly guides myself and none suggested a machine gun approach to killing a grizzly or a brown. They talked more about a real short chance for any 2nd shot and a need for enough gun. What all shootin' irons does this guide have? If a pump '06 is the biggest and the best then the machine gun approach is a bit suspect as someone getting by with what he's got. If he's got bigger but likes that gun and that rapid fire style of bringing them down then that I guess that makes it a bit more believable. On the other hand if he is especially gifted with a rifle then that machine gun approach probably won't work for most folks reading here. One don't always get to pick the distance or how ready you are. What happens when you stumble onto ole griz at 15 yards? Surprise, but I don't think 5 rounds is in the cards. I haven't been in prison, but last place I'd ever want to end up in one would be one in africa. That '06 isn't legal for big game there according to what I read before your post. Why we recommending '06s here when it could be jail time? Missed the question I think. My two cents.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:19 PM

Default RE: Another " What Caliber" question...

Hello Gentlemen

I see this is an older post but an interesting one! For the record a 30/06 can be used in British Columbia to hunt moose and bear. The legal limit for big game is the 6mm' s. I live in southern BC where we have a healthy population of blacks and grizzly bear. I have lived with grizzlies and black bears my whole life and have a healthy respect for both. My dad has used a 30/06 succesfully on many bears and moose over the years. In our moose hunting camp 90% of the guys carry 30/06 or smaller. That being said I hunt bear and moose with a .450 Marlin. I have taken bear and moose with the .450 Marlin and it does indeed work! I have never taken a shot farther than 80 yards at a bear or moose so the cartridge and gun combination has worked for me! I also use it when hiking in the back country as a bear deterrent. The problem I have with recommending a 30/06 as a bear gun is that yes it will do the job with good shot placement under ideal conditions. It will however be seriously lacking if that grizzly charges from the alders 20 yards in front of you! That is a situation that we have to keep in the back of our minds in grizzly country. I have a 30/06 myself and love the cartridge but honestly when bear is what I am after I take the biggest gun I can shoot! I am currently having a .338 Winchester done up by my gun smith for this springs bear hunt. The .450 Marlin is great but I decided to try a .338 because I have heard so much about the cartridge so I decided to try it. There is an awsome selection of suitable cartridges out there but when you throw in the grizzly you had better make it on the bigger end because they are tough animals! Where there are moose there are grizzlies so it doesn' t hurt to carry a powerful cartrdge on a combo hunt!

Quick Reply: Another "What Caliber" question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.