Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What do you guys think about grizzly baiting? >

What do you guys think about grizzly baiting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What do you guys think about grizzly baiting?

Old 01-23-2003, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: What do you guys think about grizzly baiting?

Baitin' would be fine! Stake out a couple PETA members!

"Semper Fi"
Old 01-23-2003, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ak, I thought about that last night after I responded to you. Figured your comment made more sense to the non-res hunting issue rather than the baiting issue. I'd love to see the non-resident guide required laws be looked at again. It would be interesting to see the surge of people come through if it was lifted though.
ArcticBowMan's Hunting Photo's
Old 01-23-2003, 10:02 PM

I'm on board with everyone that's replied. We've had the same problem with cats here in CA. They've regulated them to the point that there's a cat hanging out ever' other tree. You oughta hear the the tree huggers squeal when a cougar drags off little fido and eats him. You guys should feel lucky to only have one liberal anti-everthing politician up there. We got a whole state full of them!! know what the CA state motto is:
Save a spotted baby gay whale for Jesus!

I say bait 'em if that's what it takes to meet the population targets. Every Anti-everything type that I talk to gives me the same argument..Let nature take it's course, the population with find it's own natural level. That may have been true 200 years ago but I don't buy it now. The big predators are protected and the big game are managed to try to meet some magical management target. What the tree huggers forget is that each year civilization encroaches more and more onto the wild lands that support both predator and game animals, forcing more and more animals onto less and less land. Granted, population levels may eventually find some equilibrium, but not before starvation and diseases like CWD wipe out all of the work that RMEF and all the other conservation groups have done.

Ok I'm done now! Sorry for going off on a tangent.

Life begins where the pavement ends!
Old 01-28-2003, 01:33 AM

This issue gets two thumbs up from me. Just seems to be "too many" bears around, and less moose as of lately in certain areas. I've been watching this issue closely and I hope it passes.

Same goes for an any antlered moose hunt in GMU 14A.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:02 PM

ArcticBowMan,

Are most of these areas in the western units?
I am coming up in September to hunt, and was told this area had an overabundance of bears.

Old 02-02-2003, 10:09 PM

I am all for the baiting. Any unit that we are allowed a bear every year has a population that desperately needs attention. I know of at least one unit that needs to go to the 1 every year instead of the 1 every 4 years. LOUKSA, I dont know which units will be affected by any changes but I would guess that it will be focused on the interior areas where the grizzlies are so numerous rather than the western or coastal areas. If your going out with a guide in the western part you will still have a hunt of a lifetime. Thems is some big bears over there!
Old 02-02-2003, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

If my vote means anything,I say GO FOR IT.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

Too many bears? When they're on a fraction of their natural range? Maybeso we got too many people? I say let the bears an' wolves go, start controllin' the people what think the mountings are a pretty place to live, but really don't wanna be more 'an 10 miles from a McDonalds. We only got too many predators when related to the wishes of pansy-ass people an' special innerests. Don't kid yerself jus' cause you wanna shoot more animals. We ain't gonna have nuthin' left if we use conflicts with humans as a measure fer reducin' game. Habitat is in decline. Somebody's gotta draw the line. Sure, I like hunting. But I like havin' wild places even more. Cain't have wild places 'thout wild animals. I say a hippie backpacker once in a while, or a few lambs is a small price to pay to have some wild lands left. Predators gotta eat too.

BJ
Old 02-03-2003, 04:37 PM

BJ, you need to educate yourself on the predator control in Ak. We are not simply trying to please some group . We have a serious imbalance that is also hurting the subsistence in our state. Believe me, there are places that folks dont get any food if they cant find it in the woods. Our own Dept. of Fish & Game has concluded that there is a problem.And I like the way they do thier research. They dont just cave in to the activist. They make decisions on sound biology. Some dont like the way they do it, but I beleive they do an outstanding job of managing our wildlife. Check out their website at www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/FISH.GAME/ ... you might like them.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

Fairr enuff. With a name like lamar (Lamar valley), I thort you was talkin' Wyomin'. They're tryin' to come up with a management plan here too to delist the griz. Trouble is, mos' folks think they need to stay in the park. Its a losin' cause, but I'd rather see the bears move into other areas, an' the complainers move back east where its safe.

BJ

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about grizzly baiting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.