Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Polar bear hide question... >

Polar bear hide question...

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Polar bear hide question...

Old 11-09-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Polar bear hide question...

I read that limited polar bear hunting was allowed in Russia and I want to go for it…. But, does some one know is it allowed to import polar bear hides to USA?
Could you give me any links where I may read some more about custom limits for this kind of things… Thank you in advance!
Old 11-11-2007, 11:12 PM

Default RE: Polar bear hide question...

one of my buddies went to alaska last year and killed one and he was allowed to bring it home with him, i know up until a few yrs ago you couldnt bring them back. back in the 70's my dads friend shot one and got a full mount and to this day it sits at the archorage airport.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rockpile rob
back in the 70's my dads friend shot one and got a full mount and to this day it sits at the archorage airport.
that's pretty cool, I seen that in May when I was there. I thought it looked like either an old mount or a bad one. Couldn't tell which one it was.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why are you planning to go to Russia and not Canada?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

one of my buddies went to alaska last year and killed one
There aree Polar Bear in AK ?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: rockpile rob

one of my buddies went to alaska last year and killed one and he was allowed to bring it home with him, i know up until a few yrs ago you couldnt bring them back. back in the 70's my dads friend shot one and got a full mount and to this day it sits at the archorage airport.
What?! Are you sure he wasn't in Canada? There hasn't been any polar bear hunting in the US except for Native Subsistance since 1972.

Last I checked the going rate in Canada for a 10 day polar bear hunt by dogsled was $28K. I haven't seen costs for Russia or even heard of it as a possibility until just now.

I believe that Safari Club just won a case to keep the importation of polar bear trophies to the US as available by CITES permit. Do an internet search of "CITES permit" or "polar bear trophy import".

Yes, there are polar bear in AK but they have been protected in the US by the Marine Mammal Protection Act (the same as whales) since 1972.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:45 PM

I think polar bear hunting in Russia has been banned longer than the US. The 50's I think. I suppose shrinking pack ice is spuring a hunt, and the cost has to be huge! I would bet 50k or better. Last I heard importation had been lifted.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:31 PM

"Hunting polar bears is already banned in the U.S. But due to a huge loophole in the Marine Mammal Protection Act, American trophy hunters can travel to Canada, kill a polar bear, and bring back polar bear trophies, wrote Young."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/363633/polar_bear_trophy_hunting_.html

Old 11-15-2007, 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: elkhuntinmt_10

"Hunting polar bears is already banned in the U.S. But due to a huge loophole in the Marine Mammal Protection Act, American trophy hunters can travel to Canada, kill a polar bear, and bring back polar bear trophies, wrote Young."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/363633/polar_bear_trophy_hunting_.html

As with most "animal rights" info it is again misinformed. It's not a loophole in the MMPA but a CITES issue that was fought long and hard for by hunter's groups like SCI to allow for the importation of legally taken trophies.