Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

1st Mule deer hunt-HELP!

Old 11-08-2007, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default 1st Mule deer hunt-HELP!

Hi guys and gals, this is my first post on the big game forum. I'm usually on bowhunting or hogs and exotics. Anyway, over Thanksgiving I'm going on my first mulie hunt on a 200,000 acre low fence ranch in SW Texas. I will be bowhunting, trying to do a spot and stalk. All I know about this is to have good optics and keep the wind in my face.
Any advice you can offer me? BTW, I may take a muzzleloader with me to use on the last day if I can't make it happen with the bow. I will get there2 days before the opener so I will have a day to scout.
Should I bring my pop-up blind and set up on a waterhole if I can find one?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:16 AM
Spike

Default RE: 1st Mule deer hunt-HELP!

I don't know the area you are going to hunt, Nor the type of country. I assume, SW Texas is Open dry rolling hill country.
If that's the case, understand deer have to cover a lot country to feed themselves. You are not on food plotsor farm land.
Spot and pattern the deer. Just like any deer, they will travel pretty much the same routes as the move to/from water, bedding and feeding areas.

Most mule deer habitat is more open than Whitetail. You can see the deer farther away and the shots are often longer. Around here the rut starts
about the 1st of November. So the bucks get silly and don't pay as much attention. Also around here the winter weather is pushing them down off the
mountain so they are more accessable. Check and see how this may affect your local animals. Where/when do they rut, Where do they winter.

But ultimately they are still a deer.

Good Luck

Good luck
Old 11-13-2007, 08:38 PM

Default RE: 1st Mule deer hunt-HELP!

I'll have to agree with the guy above me with everything that he said. I live in montana and i hunt mule deer a lot. Most of my shots have been around 300yards. i bow hunt as well, but usually don't hunt mule deer with a bow.But when they are in the rut, they aren't that smart. They will let you get away with more crap. I just shot my mule deer and hes was pretty big and he let me walk right at him for 40 yards without even moving after we already bumped him with the 4 wheelers. I would make sure you have a good pair of glasses and a spotting scope would be a good idea as well. The best of luck to you tho. And let us know how you did