HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Montana Non-Resident DIY Public Land Combo Antelope Mule Deer Hunt Results (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/214277-montana-non-resident-diy-public-land-combo-antelope-mule-deer-hunt-results.html)

npaden 11-30-2007 11:06 AM

RE: Montana Non-Resident DIY Public Land Combo Antelope Mule Deer Hunt Results

I finally got around to measuring my antelope and I was suprised at how well it ended up scoring. We've always just measured the length of the horn and never anything else.

His first 2 circumferences were 6" on both horns and his cutters were 4.5" on each horn and when it was all added up he scored 72 2/8 with 4/8 deductions for a net score of 71 6/8. I've never actually scored an antelope before, but a good thick horn scores pretty well even if it isn't that long.

I've done some more reading and I think I scored my mule deer wrong and it should only be 141" instead of 145". I measured the widest inside spread that was actually on the upper forks not the main beams. Measuring the main beams it was only 17 2/8" wide.

Just thought I would update the post with the score on the antelope.

fishm@n 11-30-2007 03:17 PM

Ya did better than our Montana DIY hunt in the Big Belts for Elk/Deer.. Elk were almost non-existant but the mule deer were everywhere, unfortunately mostly does... we got four does with bow and arrow's. The one day we got into elk we were on public land and they were on private.

bowing4bulls 11-30-2007 03:41 PM

Heygood bucks, thats a great story and when ever youfill a tag on a DIY public land hunt your doing good let a lone two tagsCONGRATS

elkhuntinmt_10 12-02-2007 04:30 AM

Congrats. I hunt out in the winnett area and i am use to that gumbo crap. it sucks. I had a good hunt as well. I got a buck and a doe antelope and my dad also got a buck. And incase you didn't know or hear, they had a bad case of blue tounge out in that area so if you didn't see too many antelope, that would be the reason. Where we hunted, we usually see bout 100 head and we had a struggle just to find the ones that we did fine. public land is hard to find game on, but like the other guy said if u work hard enough u will find em. congrats

121553 12-02-2007 01:04 PM

Congradulation. I've hunted over there for about the past 4 years now and weather and people will effect the outcome of the hunt. I've hunted in the beginning of bowseason and at the end of sept and rain, cold, heat, gumbo clay andwinds can be down right nasty, where as the snow hasn't really been a problem at that time of year. I'm not too intrested in hunting antelope especially when there is some 350 inch class elk in the area, but they are the most educated bulls that you'll ever hunt and sometimes I'll set up along the willows for an ambush. Very little calling if any. Next year I'm putting Elknut on my speed dial and figure out to pull those stubborn bulls out. Wait a minute, I just remembered theres no cell phone coverage there.[:@]
Good job.

Bobby >>>============>