Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Antelope Success!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wyoming Antelope Success!

I arrived back home at about 1:00am on Tuesday after a 1200 mile trip so excuse my late posting!
My dad, brother and I went on what the first antelope hunt for each of us. We hunted with SNS Outfitters just out of Casper, Wyoming. Our guide was J.R. Hunter. J.R. told us from the start that he does not shoot small antelope, and he wasn't joking!
He had two antelope scouted that we were after the first day. It wasn't long before we found the first of those two. My brother Jason was up first. After a decent stalk, we found ourselves just over a hundred yards from this wide buck and his harem of does. Jason made a perfect shot. He doesn't score the highest, but at nearly 76" and 16" tip to tip he is a great trophy!

After taking care of Jason's buck it was on to the next buck that J.R. had scouted. He called this one Narrow Boy, or N.B. (I always figure it's a good thing when you can shoot an animal that has a name associated with it). It took a couple hours to find him and his harem of 45 does, but we found him. After a half mile stalk we found ourselves 310 yards away, and were busted. The antelope took off, but we had an angle on them. We ran a mile, yes, it was a legitimate mile before they started to cross in front of us. J.R. ranged them at 250 and we waited for Narrow Boy to cross. As luck would have it, he stopped at 250 just long enough for me to take a perfect broadside shot. This buck scored huge at 82 and 6/8ths, with only 1/8th inch of deductions. Boone and Crockett all time records on Pronghorn Antelope is 82".

Not to be outdone, my dad was the last to hunt. He passed up some real nice bucks that J.R. had figured would go in the high 70's on that same afternoon. He wanted something that would be bigger than both Jason's and my bucks. We didnt' think it could happen, but J.R. found him a huge goat! After spending a fair amount of time planning and coming up with a game plan the stalk was on. When they finally crested the last hill before coming up on the antelope my dad was ready for the shot. It was 350 yards, but he was well prepared. His antelope was an incredible trophy. Unfortunately the hook on the right horn had been broken off. His buck still scores over 80".

A picture of the scene of the crime. Scott holding his buck, J.R. getting low to take pictures, and Jason observing.

If you get low enough, these are the pictures you come out with!

From Left to Right: Scott Vee, James Vee, Jason Vee, and guide J.R. Hunter.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wyoming Antelope Success!

I copied this page off of the Boone and Crockett website. This is the scoresheet for my antelope:

Old 10-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boone and Crockett all time records on Pronghorn Antelope is 82".
Those all are awesome antelope for sure. CONGRATS on an awesome trip with your family members that you won't ver forget. How ever, the world record antelope score is actually 95", and there are two of them tied at that score from AZ.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for the congrats Howler. I copied this quote off of the Boone and Crockett webpage so as to clear up your confusion on all-time records compared to world records.

"Trophies that meet the Awards minimum but not the All-Time minimum will be listed in the Awards book. Trophies that meet the All-Time minimum will be listed in both the Awards book, as well as "Records of North American Big Game.""

The minimum score for antelope awards is 80", where the minimum score for all-time awards is 82".
Old 10-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on some VERY nice goats.

I also mis-read your original post and thought you meant that the all time record for antelope was 82" and yours was going to be a new world record or something.

Maybe instead of "Boone and Crockett all time records on Pronghorn Antelope is 82", you could say "The minimum score for a Pronghorn Antelope to be entered into the Boone and Crockett all time records is 82".

Your score sheet really shows that the length of the horn doesn't = a great score on antelope. Just 14.25" horns but lots of mass and really nice prongs and you have a booner!

Congrats again!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:55 PM

Congrats, those are all good looking goats. BTW- I understood what you meant by "all-time records".
Old 10-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great goats you guys!!!!

BBJ
Old 10-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Great looking goats guys!

Just got back from Wyoming myself, my wife and I both shot antelope bucks. Wetook the kids out with us, on a DIY hunt.
Took only one day and we ended up taking a couple nice goats. Mine was a 15" scored @ 75". The wife got one that had a couple inches of tips broke off, but it had real nice cutters. It was her first ever big game kill. (picture attached)
Where near Casper? We were hunting west of Casper, area 71.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:04 AM

Booner goat. got to love it.

BTW I knew exactly what you meant by all time records. peace

Old 10-10-2007, 01:10 PM

WOW those are all monster lopers congrats.

Quick Reply: Wyoming Antelope Success!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.