Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Importing Moose Meat to NY from Quebec >

Importing Moose Meat to NY from Quebec

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Importing Moose Meat to NY from Quebec

Old 09-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Spike

Default Importing Moose Meat to NY from Quebec

Taking my boys to Quebec for moose in a couple weeks.

Since we *are* going to kill one, is there anything special to do to import the meat back into the US, specifically New York State ?

Thanks for the info !
Old 09-26-2007, 02:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Importing Moose Meat to NY from Quebec

First you would want to check with your Fish and Wildlife for info as well as the U. S. Custom service as here you will need a permit or they will confiscate (sp) for you.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:01 AM
Spike

I thought there may be something.

Has anyone actually imported one back into NY ? I'd like to hear what the process was and any problems encountered so I can avoid them.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Had a group come out of Quebec last year with Caribou (we drove) back here to Illinois.When stopping at the border let them know you have Moose meat with you. They had us pull over and go in and fill out some paperwork. A border officer came over looked at our animals and told us have safe trip home. All in alll it took about 15 minutes to stop, fill out paperwork and get on our way.

Don
Old 09-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Spike

Thanks Don. I've imported a few bears with no problems. I guess I was thinking NY state would have an issue with CWD concerns but then again, the border guards are federal and shouldn't be enforcing state rules.
I'll make some calls and find out more. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

That would be your best bet with a call. Im sure your meat will be de-boned so I cant see where the problem would be. The one thing they kept asking us is if we brought back any sheds. They seemed real interested in that for some reason.

Good luck on your Moose hunt

Don
Old 09-30-2007, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

Sleddoggie- Go to this site http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8325.html
It has the info and it looks good for bringing it back

I just went through customs at 1000 Islands in NY (I-81) on Sept 11. When you get to the booth, tell the person that you were hunting moose. The American customs people were great and friendly (unlike going into Canada). He sent us to park, we went inside, they had the USFWS form half filled out, we filled out the rest and were on our way. They never even looked at our meat, racks, guns, etc. Short, sweet, to the point. Good luck on your hunt. Just a note of caution, don't know where you are in NY but all the guys that crossed due south of Montreal waited like 1.5 plus hours each way. We were 20 min into Canada and 30 out including waiting in line to get to the initial screener and then into the buildings at the I-81 crossing.