Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

FINALLYYYYY

Old 09-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Default FINALLYYYYY

Well I've put countless hours and a lot of money into this elk season, the elk had been stubborn the first part of the season. If anyone here has hunted elk, they know that it is not a walk in the park and is a hell of a lot of work.. I've went through hell and high water chasing after these majestic animals, and today it finally payed off... It was wet and cold so I bundled up and decided I was going to head out about mid afternoon for an elk hunt. I knew with the rain starting to finally let off that I just might catch them moving. So I headed to the spot where I had seen a lot of elk sign.. I hiked back up in to the spot and let out a cow call and all hell broke loose. I hopped into the nearest cover and let out a couple more cow calls. He came RUNNING in, he spotted me at about 10 yards head on. Not the shot I wanted but the only shot he was going to give me.. I'm very confident in my shooting abilities because I've put in countless hours shooting my bow. I knew where I had to put the arrow to get a lung and his heart and I did just that.. Right on the money, he ran 70 yards and expired. I was so ecstatic, words cannot even express my excitement. What a rush to have a bull come running straight at you.. These animals are sooooo huge... I'm hooked for life, can't wait till next season.. So total tally this year for Clinty poo and his Bow. 1 bear and 1 elk.. Now it's time for the boom boom to come out for modern firearm and get me a big ol mulie or whitetail Now for the pictures!

Exactly the way he was when I found him:

Got him home for some pics:

Old 09-21-2007, 11:13 AM

Default RE: FINALLYYYYY

Thats an awesome bull especially since you were able to bag him with your bow. It is definitely a huge rush when you see one of those 800lb bulls charging your way. Congrats.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:23 AM

Thanks, I hunt all alone on public ground.. a lot of adversity this season with the weather being soo hot and the elk not rutting. we've had 30 degree temps and rain finally and it put these bulls into run immediately. It was amazing I'm hooked for life. This is my first elk ever.. It's awesome that i was able to do it with the ol stick and string. I've got a Martin saber set at 70 lb draw, it's a decent little bow but next year I'm going with a matthews drenaline.. thats one B.A. bow right there!
Old 09-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice bull. Nice work. Persistance pays off. I have never hunted elk. It is a dream to go someday.
Congrats.
You gonna mount him?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:09 PM

I'm going to do a european mount.. I've got my bear at the taxidermist for a full body mount and this elk was just not big enough to warrant a full head mount.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, congrats man! What a great bull and great hunt. It's a great trophy and should be great eatin' too. I hope some day to be able to shoot a bull bigger than a spike (spike-only here in WA without a special tag - 10 years and counting for that draw).

Old 09-21-2007, 01:19 PM

Yea that would suck to be in a spike only unit. This bull doesn't even come close to comparing to the 7 point I saw last wednesday, but he's an AWESOME first elk. I would have been bad to shoot the monarch right away.. I'm not picky and I would shoot an elk just like him every year for the rest of my life if I got a chance.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 PM

Yah i think once you hunt elk its hard not to become hooked on hunting them, espeically during the rut. I think a european mount would be awesome, i love the looks of elk when they are mounted that way.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it's not that great to hunt for spikes only, but there are so many guys and gals not even fortunate enough to have elk in their state I shouldn't complain. Plus I've got 2 spikes in 10 years of hunting for them, which is above average for this state on public land. So I feel fortunate to have that much.

I did hunt Idaho last fall for any bull and it was a great hunt. Lots and lots of thick timber and steep ridges, and never found where most of the elk were. Saw a few and a moose or 3 and that was it. Still, probably go back next year.

A European mount would be great, I'd concur. Exactly what I'd do with it too. Congrats again.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted 6 or7 years in my horrible unit before I saw a shootable bull in-season.

I feel your pain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.