Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming area 47

Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Wyoming area 47

Four of us from TN have been drawn for WY area 47; we will be staying in Medicine Bow and hunting the week of Oct. 8.
Does anybody know if it is worthwhile to contact Ron Heward to hunt his ranch?
Is there a part of Shirley Basin that is better, a certain road or creek?
Thanks for any and all help.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wyoming area 47

We were in the Shirly basin about a month ago and saw a total of 16 antelope in 2 days.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, you forgot to mention what game you're hunting, ghost.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:17 AM

Antelope and antelope only; no combination hunt; just wanted a relaxed hunt. 5 days is "supposed" to be plenty of time to kill a decent antelope.
ElkNutz, sounds discouraging.
Area 47 biologist talked like there were a lot of antelope but scattered which in his opinion made them easier to hunt.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun308

Yeah, you forgot to mention what game you're hunting, ghost.
Going during that time it's pretty obvious what he is going to be after.

We were rather disappointed also. My wife has a tag, as well as about 12 of our family.(ALL but me![:@]) We will be up there sept. 27-30th. It's our big "family" trip every year. If you would like I can give you a report when we return.

My cousins didn't hardly see any antelope during the first weekend of bow season up there. It rained over 4" in the basin the evening I was suppose to leave for up there, I decided to stay home. I haven't seen big numbers in there for 3 or 4 years the first year we hunted the basin. It was awesome I shot my 2 in the first hour both under a 100 yards.Last eyar we saw a fair ammount of animals but very very few fawns. I think for a couple reason the antelope numbers are down, too many tags given out for the mature goats and the coyotes eating every fawn that hits the ground. We were camping at the lake and we counted 12 sounding off just in the basin itself.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:22 PM

ElkNutz, that would be great!
We picked the area from talking to several WY biologist and reading mags and forums. Supposed to be lots of public land (which the maps show to be true) and lots of goats (which we shall see.)
We have the same problem with coyotes eating deer fawns.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Is this your first trip out here? You are in for a treat if it is. If I could figure out a way to make a living 30 miles from the nearest convience store I would in heartbeat!!
You staying at the Trampas Lodge or Virginian? Either one don't plan on much sleep! The coal trains roll thru across the road every 20 minutes. There is a road crossing right in Medicine Bow. So they blow their horns for 1/2 mile to the crossing.They literally shake the buildings and sound like they are coming into the bed with you. Although it's the best $39 dollar warm bed around! We fell for that once now we set up a camp in a "super secret" wash that is out of the wind.
If she doesn't kill her's we will be back up there when you guys are. I will PM you the report and our camp location maybe you can swing by and say hey!

Old 09-14-2007, 01:01 AM

ORIGINAL: ElkNutz

We were in the Shirly basin about a month ago and saw a total of 16 antelope in 2 days.
I bet I saw that many from the highway in a half hour when I drove through the basin on August 26.[8D]
Old 09-14-2007, 04:40 AM

Don't worry guys, you'll see lopes. You DO have to get off the beatten path after rifle season starts up. As I explained in my PM, it'll be a little tougher, but they are there. Your biggest decission will be, "which one do I shoot".
I meant to ask if you have an idea of how to judge the horns? I use the ears as a measuring tool. I figure the ears are an average of 6" and a horn that at least doubles that, plus a good curl, and you've probably got a 14"er or more. Also look at the cutter, or prong, and make sure it more than doubles the width of the horn at the base.
The circumference of the eye is another tool . . . the base should be at least as big around as the eye (or bigger!) and you will have good mass. The width at the tips do not score on an Antelope, but do add to character. One of my favorite mounts is the one that looks like the old Rabbit Ears T.V. antennas.

I also found out the moon phase when you are there will be a 6% cresent to a new moon on the 10th which is a dark sky at night. That will help.

There hasn;t been much (if any) rain for a couple/three weeks so going to water and food will still be a great strategy.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:41 PM

Really starting to get cranked about the hunt; weather finally broke here (daytime 85 and nights 65.) Starting to feel like hunting season; archery deer opens the 22nd.
Made my first trip West in '86; as the mountain men said once you see the elephant, you have to go back. Even got my wife hooked on vacations in the West, usually going for a week anywhere from mid-September to mid-October.
This will be my 2nd goat hunt. Wasn't too successful (killed one, just not the one I wanted ) on the first and hope to do better this time.
We will have a rookie with us and the goal is to get him a good one.
We are staying in the Trampas Lodge; they had a cancellation allowing us to get in.
Sounds like the trains by the Spring River in Arkansas that would rattle your tent in the wee hours of the morning. But what's a little noise after a good day of hunting?

Quick Reply: Wyoming area 47

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.