Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First Bow Kill!!!!

Old 08-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default First Bow Kill!!!!

Hey all........I got my first bow kill. A cow Elk @ 20yrdson Tues.morning. I guess it wouldn't be that big of a deal except this was only the start of my 3rd bow season with only about 13 days total.... of in the field bow experience.Not to mention the fact that I missed (yardage) last year and I haven't slept since.I really can't explain all of the emotion that comes to a head at that moment. Although I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.
In a nutshell.............It's everything!!!! The off season work,the tuning.The practice. The late night dreams,the hard hunting,getting up at 3:30 in the morning and getting to bed around 10:00pm after miles of hunting and just not getting it done. It's the animal, it's you and it's the moment.That feeling,that rush. It can make you hug another man.Shed some tears and say glory to all that is......All.........In that one single moment.
I've always gotten what (until now) I thought was the highest of highs when I've taken an animal with my rifle or muzzleloader. But it's not the same!
I've been 10 yrds from an animal (bull)and not had a shot.17 yds from an animal and not had a shot.Many animals(Bull's,cow's, buck's and doe's)from 20-50yrds and not had a shot.Too many blown stalks to tell and a previous mentioned miss.
When it finally pays off............WOW

If I could ever in my lifetime figure out the process for uploading pics.I'll post.

Thanks guy's!
Have a good night and a good hunting season!!

Bill

Old 08-31-2007, 07:08 PM

Default RE: First Bow Kill!!!!

Well congratulations to you on your first bow kill. Im still lookin for mine, had lots of opportunties but still havent been able to connect. But pics would be awesome. If you want you can email them to me and i will post them for you if you want. Cause i would love to see them
Old 08-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Savor the hunt every time your eating a steak! I've shot a lot of big game with a rifle but felt like I'd accomplished something more with a bow shot whitetail doe because it was close and personal and it required more skill to get that close.Congrats..................Harold I'm packing my .54 Hawken till I get it blooded this fall.Always good to challange yourself................
Old 08-31-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

great job glob
Old 09-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Guy's..............Here's a link to some of my hunting related photo's including this years bow kill. As you can see ........It's kind of hard to get good pics when your flying solo and sometimes I forget altogether[:@].

Bill

http://pictures.aol.com/ap/viewHoo.do?type=photoPile&size=LS&logoUrl= http%3A%2F%2Fpictures.aol.com%2Fgalleries%2Fglob30 06&aimName=glob3006&noLogo=true&bgcolo r=%23000000
Old 09-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Geat pics glob, i know exactly how you felt. I enjoy all types of hunting but archery is special.
I have killed many whitetails but haven't harvested an elk yet. Very soon i hope. I'm assuming
this is your firs elk with a bow but not your first elk period.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

good job, i think i might pick up a bow for the fist time this year!
Old 09-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats Bill,
Looks like the freezer is going to be lookin good. Thanks for shairing the pics. I also am working on getting 1st elk w/bow.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

onebigelk, you would assume correct. I have been very fortunate.Now in my 7th hunting season and rounding 40, I have taken 6 elk and 2 deer with my latest being with a bow.I would attribute my success' on learning from my mistakes,putting in the time that it takes.Whether it's practicing withmy weapon,scouting and getting in shape etc.to sometimes just paying attention to intuition or the gut feeling that one might get out in the field. I think thatliterally I hear a voice thattells me what to do and keeps me on the right trackAs DOULBLE LUNGS signature implies " Persistance is the key to success" Like I said above It's all of that work and the learning proccessthat goes in that made my bow kill the best yet!!!!

I pray every season that I don't have to buy "store bought meat"!!!!!

Bill

Quick Reply: First Bow Kill!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.